IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
If there is one thing Renault is known for, it’s creating small, fun-to-drive, inexpensive cars. The latest Clio is the French firm’s most recent attempt to continue this tradition.
The Renault Clio has become one of the staple cars on UK roads, as famous for its supermini practicality and driving enthusiasm as it is for those memorable ‘Papa and Nicole’ TV adverts that started back in 1991.
The new-for-2013 fourth-generation Renault Clio embodies all the passion and simplicity of the first car, but adds voluptuous styling and a pair of economical new engines that should prove cheap to run. And with savings in the range of £1,400 and £3,000, there’s good reason to va-va-voom your way to an online dealer for some competitive discounts.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full review of the Renault Clio
Save £3,041 on Renault Clio 1.5 Dci 90 diesel Dynamique Medianav
There are changes under the newly crafted skin – two new engines offer a mix of perky performance and ultra-green credentials.
The new 1.5 diesel has decent performance (0-62mph in 11.7 seconds), and, if you choose the Eco version, it has emissions of just 83g/km CO2 and a claimed 88.3mpg. The model we’ve found a £3,000 saving on has 90g/km CO2 emissions, meaning free car tax.
Dynamique Medianav spec includes navigation, larger 16-inch alloy wheels and nicer seat upholstery.
£2,506 discount on Renault Clio 0.9 Tce 90 petrol Eco Expression+
The 0.9-litre petrol is Renault’s first three-cylinder engine. In spite of its diminutive size, it’s fitted with a turbo to boost power to 90bhp – it’ll hit 62mph from rest in 11.8 seconds.
It uses a turbo that cuts in at low revs to provide good pulling power at most speeds. In our lab test, we found it sprightly around town and punchy enough to deal with motorway driving. The only downside is intrusive engine noise, along with noticeable vibration through the steering wheel, gearstick and pedals when the revs pick up.
The Expression+ spec has manual air conditioning, 16-inch alloy wheels and front fog lights.
£1,400 discount on entry-level Renault Clio 1.2 16V Expression+
For just shy of £11,000, you could opt for the tried and tested 1.2-litre petrol with the same specification as the model featured above.
Hot Car Deals:
- Renault Clio 1.5 Dci 90 diesel Dynamique Medianav – £12,384 at Nationwide Cars
- Renault Clio 0.9 Tce 90 petrol Eco Expression+ – £11,069 at Nationwide Cars
- £1,400 discount on entry-level Renault Clio 1.2 16V Expression+ – £10,890 at Perrys
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.