Windows XP's demise - time for a new PC? Which? Technology podcastTime to get a Windows 7, or 8, PC or even a Mac?
12 March 2014
The demise of Windows XP draws near as Microsoft reveals plans to halt support for its ageing operating system. In this week's Which? Tech podcast, the team answers the questions facing existing XP users.
We also discuss whether you should upgrade to Windows 7 or 8, of if it might be time to buy a new PC or even a Mac.
Time for a new Windows computer? What our experts think
- Why has Microsoft decided that now is the right time to wind down Windows XP updates?
- How does a lack of updates affect XP users in terms of their online security?
- What's the next step for XP users - Windows 7, Windows 8 or is it time to buy a Mac?
Listen to the latest podcast
The demise of Windows XP
With Microsoft's announcement that it is to withdraw support for its Windows XP operating system we discuss how the change affects Windows XP users, what the next steps of those affected should be and whether the time might be right to buy a new PC, or even a Mac.
With a panel consisting of Which? Computing editor Rich Parris and senior PC and laptops researcher, Ryan Shaw, the team explains why Microsoft has called time on XP, and what existing XP users should do now.
Where to go after the podcast
Have you listened to the podcast and want to find out more? Follow the links below for all the information you need:
- Laptop Best Buys - buy a new PC based on reviews you can trust?
- Should I buy a laptop, tablet or something in-between? - use our choosing tool to find out
- Computer Troubleshooting - all of our computing advice in one place
And remember: members get regular Which? Technology updates and access to all of our latest reviews. Sign up for a £1 trial to Which?
How to listen to the Tech podcast
It's easy to listen to our podcast - click on the player above to listen, or download it free of charge to your computer.
You can also subscribe to the Which? Technology podcast in iTunes in order to get our latest podcasts sent directly to your device. For more information see our guide on how to listen to and download podcasts.
Contact the Which? Tech podcast team
To contact the Which? Technology podcast team, and to be in with a chance of having your question answered on the show, direct your emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.