IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
Unlike the Mini’s retro design, Citroen’s DS3 is bang up to date. Another difference is that you can find very large discounts on the Citroen online, making it a much cheaper purchase than the pricey Mini.
The Citroen DS3 may not have the cachet of its Mini nemesis, but it is a funky and functional machine that offers very good value for money. With substantial discounts available online and several punchy engines to choose from, the DS3 is a refreshingly futuristic alternative to the Mini.
This small Citroen manages to be fun to drive without sacrificing comfort or refinement. Buyers can also personalise their car to their heart’s content with contrasting roof and mirror colours and numerous dashboard colours and upholstery choices.
The DS3 is a more upmarket version of Citroen’s C3 supermini, but shop around online and you can still find models from under £10,000.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full review of the Citroen DS3
Speedy Citroen DS3 1.6 THP 155 DSport for under £14,000
If you’re looking for a nippy little hot hatch for an affordable price, the DS3 1.6 THP 155 could be your car. Thanks to a 20% discount, this DS3 is available for just £13,860 – around £1,500 less than the less powerful new Mini Cooper.
Although the price has been slashed, this model has a long list of standard equipment, including climate control, contrasting roof colour, 17-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth for connecting your phone to the car and drilled aluminium pedals.
With a feisty turbocharged engine under the bonnet, this car scampers to 62mph in 7.3 seconds and returns a reasonable claimed fuel economy figure of 48.7mpg.
Save 21% on diesel Citroen DS3 1.6 e-HDI 115 AirDream DSport
If you cover more miles and would prefer a diesel, the DS3 e-HDI 115 returns a strong claimed economy figure of 74.4mpg and CO2 emissions are low enough for free car tax. In spite of this, performance is reasonable with the car accelerating to 62mph in under 10 seconds.
Thanks to a discount of £3,663 this car is available for £14,032. In DStyle form this DS3 has all the same equipment as the petrol model above.
£3,260 discount on petrol Citroen DS3 Cabrio 1.6 VTi DStyle
With warmer weather on its way, you can also save over £3,200 on the Citroen DS3 Cabrio, dropping the price to £14,300. Unlike most cabriolets, the DS3 has a fabric roof that slides back to reveal an expanse of fresh air, without the weight or expense of a conventional folding roof.
With a peppy 1.6-litre petrol engine under the bonnet, this car can scoot to 62mph in just 8.9 seconds, and fuel bills should be inexpensive with an official economy figure of 49.6mpg.
Hot Car Deals:
- Citroen DS3 1.6 THP 155 DSport – £13,860 at Nationwide Cars
- Citroen DS3 1.6 e-HDI 115 AirDream DSport – £14,032 at Nationwide Cars
- Citroen DS3 Cabrio 1.6 VTi DStyle – £14,300 at Discounted New Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.