Which? crowns the champions of the cheeseboardBest cheddars and bries revealed
17 April 2014
Our cheese experts have munched and crunched their way through 15 premium vintage and extra mature cheddars and six ripening bries, all in the name of helping you choose the best cheeses for your next cheeseboard.
Cheddar and brie are two of our members' favourite cheeses, so we've put big brands and premium supermarket ranges on test to find out which are the most delicious.
If you’re looking for a tangy cheddar with a satisfying crunch, or an unctuous and creamy brie, check out our top five cheddars and top five bries.
If you’re not already a member, you can take out a £1 trial with Which? to get instant access to all of our independent reviews.
Creating the perfect cheeseboard
We also asked Hero Hirsh, manager of the Jermyn Street branch of Paxton & Whitfield, to share her top tips for creating the perfect cheeseboard. Watch our video below to find out how to make the most of our Best Buy cheeses.
Which? cheese taste test
In March 2014 our panel of four experts blind tasted premium, pre-packed vintage and extra mature cheddars and ripening bries from brands and major supermarkets.
We tested the following cheddars:
- Aldi Specially Selected West Country Vintage Cheddar
- Anchor Extra Mature Cheddar
- Asda Extra Special Cheddar Vintage Somerset
- Cathedral City Vintage 20
- Davidstow 3-Year Reserve Special Vintage Cornish Cheddar
- Lake District Dairy Co. Extra Mature Cheddar
- Lidl Valley Spire Vintage Cheddar
- M&S 3-Year Old Cornish Cruncher Vintage Cheddar
- Morrisons Signature Vintage Cheddar
- Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Vintage Cheddar
- Seriously Strong Vintage Cheddar
- Tesco Finest Coastal Bite
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Somerset Vintage Cheddar
- Waitrose Rich and Crunchy Davidstow Cornish Quartz Cheddar
- Wyke Farms Simply Gorgeous Vintage Cheddar
And we tested the following ripening bries:
- Asda Extra Special Cornish Brie
- Le Rustique Brie de Caractère
- M&S Brie de Meaux
- Tesco Finest Brie de Meaux
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Brie Pays
- Waitrose Rich, Robust and Sticky French Ripe Brie