Hot Car Deal – Top medium cars for under £8,000Three value-priced used medium cars
29 May 2014
IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
A medium-sized car can set you back more than £20,000 new, but we’ve found three great used models for less than £8,000. All are younger than five years old and have less than 40,000 miles on the clock.
Medium cars include some of the most popular models on the road. So while you’re unlikely to stand out when behind the wheel, you can find yourself a bargain. We’ve rounded up great-value used versions of three popular medium cars.
These cars offer low running costs, lots of space inside and good road handling. All should last for many years to come, too. Find out how these cars performed in the latest Which? Car Survey and read full reviews of the Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Mazda 3 by trying Which? for just £1.
£6,370 for four-year-old Ford Focus 1.6
You may have £8,000 to spend, but don’t think you have to blow the whole budget for a low-mileage car with many years of service left. We’ve found a metallic blue four-year-old Ford Focus with just over 35,000 miles on the clock for £6,370 - £805 less than its market value and 59% less than its list price when new.
With hundreds of used Focuses on sale, you should easily be able to find a car to suit you. This Focus has a 1.6-litre petrol engine that returns claimed fuel economy of 42.2mpg. Acceleration is slightly sluggish, however, with the car requiring 11.9 seconds to get from 0-62mph. If you regularly carry lots of passengers and luggage, you may want to consider a more powerful engine.
34,517-mile Honda Civic 1.8 for £7,995
If you’re looking for a more striking machine, the Honda Civic could fit the bill. Even in five-door form, this Civic grabs your attention with futuristic styling inside and out. Despite its zany looks, the Civic has a practical boot and a reasonable amount of interior space for four passengers.
We’ve found a metallic silver 1.8 petrol model with 34,517 miles under its wheels for £7,995. In 1.8-litre form the Civic matches the Focus for fuel economy, but can sprint to 62mph in a brisk 8.9 seconds. The Civic also put in a reasonable performance in our realistic fuel economy tests.
62.8mpg Mazda 3 for just for £7,995
Thanks to its 1.6-litre diesel engine, this Mazda 3 is well-suited to those who cover many miles. With just over 35,000 miles on the clock, the silver 3 we found should have many years of life left, although it costs less than half the price it did when new.
The Mazda 3 1.6 diesel can accelerate to 62mph in a steady 11.0 seconds. However, the 1.6d model did fall short of its claimed fuel economy in our tests.
Hot Car Deals:
- 2010 (10) Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 5-dr, 35,262 miles - £6,370 at AA Cars
- 2009 (59) Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC ES 5-dr, 34,517 miles - £7,995 at AA Cars
- 2010 (10) Mazda 3 1.6d TS2, 35,219 miles - £7,995 at AA Cars
- Browse through all of our medium car reviews
- See our top 10 tips for buying a medium car
- Check out all the results from the Which? Car Survey
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.