IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
If you want a sensible medium car, chances are that the Volkswagen Golf is somewhere on your shopping list. If however, you fancy something with a bit more style, you can save up to £3,657 on the VW Beetle.
Volkswagen’s best-selling medium car may be the Golf, but the VW Beetle remains its icon. Yes, this car sacrifices some of the Golf’s practicality, but in exchange you get the Beetle’s distinctive styling – inside and out.
The Beetle is also fun to drive, although if you go for Sport trim you will have to live with a firm ride. Unusually for a Volkswagen, prices are keen, and the car should hold its value well as it gets older. Take into account the large discounts available online and the Beetle puts up a strong case for itself.
Top Choice VW Beetle petrol auto for just £16,102
Our favourite Beetle is the 1.2 TSI Design DSG, which comes with a peppy turbocharged petrol engine and slick semi-automatic gearbox. While this car would set you back £19,505 from a VW dealership, we’ve found it online for just £16,102 – a 17% saving.
The engine may be small at just 1.2-litres, but thanks to a turbocharger this model can scamper to 62mph in a nippy 10.9 seconds. Fuel bills should be low, too; claimed fuel economy is 47.9mpg. This model includes air conditioning and Bluetooth for connecting your phone to the car, plus a handy spare wheel.
Save 18% on economical diesel VW Beetle
If you regularly make longer journeys and fuel economy is high on your wish list, the 2.0 TDI Beetle should fit the bill. Its claimed fuel economy is 57.6mpg.
This engine also provides plenty of power, accelerating to 62mph in 9.4 seconds. Following a discount of £3,657, you could own this Beetle for £17,023. In Design trim, it has all the same equipment as the car above and returns 10 extra miles per gallon for a premium of around £900.
£3,355 discount on nippy petrol VW Beetle
For those seeking a more fun-to-drive Beetle, we’ve found a discount of £3,355 on the Beetle 1.4 TSI Sport – dropping the price to £18,495. With a turbocharged motor under the bonnet, this car sprints to 62mph in a brisk 8.3 seconds, yet still returns 42.8mpg (claimed).
In Sport trim, the car comes with cruise control for effortless motorway cruising and rear parking sensors to take the stress out of parking. You also get climate control, Bluetooth and a spare wheel as standard.
Hot Car Deals:
- Volkswagen Beetle 1.2 TSI Design DSG – £16,102 at Carfile
- Volkswagen Beetle 2.0 TDI Design – £17,023 at Carfile
- Volkswagen 1.4 TSI Sport – £18,495 at Arnold Clark
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.