Whether you like your bangers with mash, on a barbecue or in a casserole, make sure you buy the best. Our latest sausage taste test reveals three Best Buy bangers.
We brought in the experts and put 13 branded and supermarket premium pork sausages – our members’ favourites – through a blind taste test.
Which? members can see the full results in our article ‘Best bangers for your buck’ in the July issue of Which? magazine. If you’re not already a member, you can take out a £1 trial with Which? to get instant access to all of our independent reviews and full online archive.
Top-scoring sausages with less fat
Morrisons M Signature Thick Outdoor-Bred Pork Sausages (£3.19 for six) were the judges’ favourites, scoring 82%. The panel said these were well made, and ‘very good and tasty’.
The great news is that the Morrisons sausages were also one of the lowest-fat sausages on test, with less than two-thirds of the fat of the second-tastiest sausages we tested.
Last place went to Aldi’s Specially Selected Pork Sausages (£1.99 for six), which scored just 44%. These looked unappealing and tasted too sweet – as one expert put it: ‘Oh dear!’
Top five sausages
In all, we tested 13 brands of premium pork sausage, as listed below. To find out how your favourite sausage measures up against the rest, check out our top five premium sausages.
- Aldi Specially Selected Pork Sausages
- Asda Extra Special Pork Sausages
- Debbie & Andrew’s Harrogate 97% Sausages
- Lidl’s Milton Gate Selection British Pork Sausages
- Marks & Spencer British Outdoor Bred 97% Pork Sausages
- Morrison’s M Signature Thick Outdoor-Bred Pork Sausages
- Rankin Selection Outdoor Bred Pork Sausages
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Ultimate Outdoor Bred Pork Sausages
- Tesco finest* British Outdoor Bred 97% Pork Sausages
- The Black Farmer Premium Pork Sausages
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Pork Sausages
- The Good Little Sausage Company Great Big Sausages
- Waitrose Gourmet Pork Sausages
You can see all the other winners of our recent taste tests in our guide to the best food and drink.
- Want to sizzle those sausages al fresco? Check out our barbecue reviews
- Stay safe in the summer sun – stock up on Best Buy sun creams
- Check out other taste test winners in our best food and drink gallery