Which? reveals new laundry detergent Best BuysIncluding a great value supermarket own-brand gel
22 July 2014
Our most recent laundry detergent tests were all about liquids and gels. With three new Best Buys and one Don’t Buy, we can help you find the perfect detergent for your laundry basket and budget.
Our quest to find the best laundry detergents continues. This time we put 14 liquid and gel detergents through their paces to see if they can make tough stains vanish, keep colours vibrant and protect white fabrics from the dreaded status of ‘going a bit grey’.
We’ve tried out some of the big brand detergents, including Ariel, Bold, Persil and Surf, and discovered how they measure up to supermarket own-brand offerings from Aldi, Asda, Lidl, Morrisons, Tesco and Waitrose.
If you're not already a member, you can find out the best laundry detergents as revealed by our expert independent tests - and get access to all the reviews on our website - by taking out a £1 trial subscription.
Is Ecover gel detergent any good?
Over the years we’ve tested quite a few products from Ecover, the brand that says it uses ingredients that are more sustainable than those found in conventional detergents.
This time around we’ve tried out the bio and non-bio Ecover laundry gels to see how they fare in our rigorous tests. You can find out how effective these Ecover products are in our full laundry detergent results table.
Liquid and gel detergents tested
We tested the following products:
- Almat Biological Laundry Gel
- Almat Super Concentrated Liquid Bio
- Ariel Actilift Bio Liquid
- Asda Bio Laundry Gel
- Bold 2in1 White Lily & Crystal Rain Bio liquid
- Ecover Bio Laundry Gel
- Ecover Non-bio Laundry Gel
- Essential Waitrose Biological Laundry Gel
- Formil Biological Super Concentrated (Lidl)
- Morrisons Lavender & Cotton Flower Bio Gel
- Persil Small & Mighty Bio Liquid
- Persil Small & Mighty Non-bio Liquid
- Surf Tropical Lily & Ylang Ylang Concentrated Bio Liquid
- Tesco Bio Gel
There were no liquid or gel detergents available from Daz, Fairy or Sainsbury’s for us to test this time round.