November 2014: which supermarket was cheapest?We compare prices of a basket of branded groceries
11 December 2014
Asda was the winner of November 2014's price comparison basket - it was £26.78 cheaper than the most expensive supermarket.
Asda charged £164.56 for the basket compared with Ocado, which charged £191.34 - £26.78 extra.
To work out which supermarket was cheapest, we compared the price of 81 food and grocery products at the main online supermarkets Asda, Tesco, Ocado, Sainsbury's and Waitrose. The prices were averaged over the month and include discounts but not multibuys.
We run our comparison basket each month, looking at the price of around 100 products. The exact number of products varies depending on supermarkets' availability and we sometimes vary the contents. To find out how the other supermarkets stacked up this month and over the past year check out our supermarket prices compared page.
To work out the average price of our basket we used data from the independent shopping website Mysupermarket.
Supermarket spend falls
Overall spending at supermarkets has fallen for the first time, according to consumer research organsation Kantar Worldpanel's records, which began in 1994.
Despite this, the market share of Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose has increased, compared to the same period last year (the 12 weeks ending 9 November).
You can find out which supermarkets are rated best by their customers in our supermarket survey - and whether those supermarkets that are increasing market share are among the favourites.
Supermarket price comparison schemes
Most supermarkets have a price matching scheme in which they compare their prices against other supermarkets. However, these schemes do vary - for instance:
- Asda says if your shopping isn't 10% cheaper than in Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose or Morrisons, it will give you a voucher for the difference
- Tesco checks your prices against Asda, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons and will give you a voucher for the difference if it's cheaper elsewhere
- Sainsbury's has a branded price match and compares against Asda
- Ocado price matches against Tesco and will give you a voucher for the difference
- Waitrose price matches Tesco on branded items.