Three car seats have been awarded a Which? Best Buy after impressing in our specially designed, tough new car seat testing – updated for 2015.
We’ve tested 15 of the latest baby and child car seats to see which models can stand up to our tough new car seat crash testing. Our latest tests include baby car seats (Group 0+), Group 1 seats for toddler and multi-group seats that claim to last until your child is 12 – the legal age in the UK a child no longer needs to use a car seat.
Three of the baby and child car seats on test scored highly enough to be awarded Best Buy status. Our crash testing also uncovered one car seat that failed a key safety test and was rated a Don’t Buy.
To find out which were the best – and worst – in our latest test, head to our child car seat reviews.
How our car seat crash tests go further
Which? has been helping to make car seats safer for almost 50 year by ensuring our testing is more stringent than the legal minimum standards.
Each car seat we test endures a front crash, equivalent to a head-on collision at around 40mph. We also put car seats through a side crash equivalent to two cars crashing into each other at 30mph. A side-impact crash test is not part of the R44.04 safety standard manufacturers currently test these child car seats to.
Following the introduction of the new European safety standard for child car seats (R129), aka i-Size, which includes a side-impact crash test for seats using Isofix, our experts have specially redesigned our Which? crash tests, making them more demanding.
- We test all car seats, whether they are installed via Isofix or the adult seat-belt, at speeds and forces higher than the legal minimum standards require.
- We use state-of-the-art crash test dummies wired up to record the crash forces on the most vulnerable parts of the body, indicating the risk of injury, as our experts feel these reflect most accurately what could happen in a real-life crash.
How we test child car seats – watch sobering footage of our crash tests in action.
Child car seat reviews
The full list of seats just tested is below – you can read the full reviews of each model, or head to our child car seat reviews for more car seats.
- Britax KidFix SL SICT
- Britax King II ATS
- Casualplay Multi-protector 123
- Casualplay Sono Group 0+
- Cybex Cloud Q (belted)
- Cybex Cloud Q Isofix base
- Cybex Pallas M
- Cybex Pallas M-Fix
- Cybex Solution M
- Cybex Solution M-Fix
- Doona (belted)
- Doona Isofix base
- Joie Trillo LX
- Maxi-Cosi AxissFix i-Size
- Top 10 baby car seats – Browse our Best Buys for babies
- i-Size – new car seat law need-to-know
- Travel systems – Top 10 baby seat compatible pushchairs