Could your pushchair pass these tough tests? New tests determine Which? pushchairs Best Buys
25 July 2015
We've updated our pushchairs testing to help make finding the best pushchair for you and your baby much easier.
All the pushchairs scrutinised at our lab now have to undergo updated tests on durability, how easy/difficult it is to get the pushchair on and off different types of public transport, ergonomics and cleaning. This is on top of more than 30 tests to double check whether each pushchair conforms to current UK standards.
Pushchair safety and durability
If pushchair safety and durability are top concerns for you, this is what makes the Which? pushchair testing reviews different. Which? is the only pushchair review site that runs safety and durablility checks on every pushchair we test.
We combine these results with the views of the people who matter the most – parents and their children. They test the pushchairs over our specially designed course at our Which? test lab, which includes obstacles, kerbs, uneven surface and rough ground.
Then we add in expert assessments from pushchair ergonomics experts, who identify poor design and pointless features.
All of these tests put together add up to our Pushchair reviews.
Key pushchair checks
As a new parent you'll most likely use your pushchair more than you drive your car. And with some pushchairs costing almost as much as a secondhand car, it's vital that you don't make a costly mistake. You want a pushchair that suits you, your baby and your lifestyle, and is going to last. These are just some of the rigorous tests each pushchair undergoes in our lab:
- Wheeled over 206km of bumpy treadmill with a fully loaded shopping basket and the weight of a child. That's the distance from London to Birmingham
- Checks for choking hazards, finger traps and build quality
- Harness strength tests to make sure the pushchair won't break while it's carrying your child
- Stability to check your pushchair won't topple over
- Brake effectiveness and how easy the brake is to put on and off – even if you're wearing sandals
- Ergonomics – we check how suitable pushchairs are for babies, one, two and 3-year-olds, to reveal if a pushchair will last to the age it claims
- Car seats and carrycots – we assess how easy they are to attach
- Public transport and car boots – will the pushchair fit?
We've seen bolts sheer, pushchair frames fail and brakes that might not work when you need them most, or unstable pushchairs that could topple over if you park them on a slope and bumper bars that could trap your little one's fingers.
The best pushchairs we see are a dream to push and will last a long time.
How we test pushchairs – discover more about our rigorous testing.
Whether this is your first pushchair or your third and no matter what your budget is, with more than 180 pushchair reviews, we've got a Best Buy pushchair to suit every family.
From the Top 10 best travel systems, suitable from birth, or double buggies, to strollers for toddlers.
Once you've found the perfect pushchair from our reviews, head to our handy advice guides on how to buy the best pushchair for top pushchair buying tips.
And for those on a budget, we've rounded up the best of our older tests in our second-hand pushchair reviews. Bargain Bugaboo, anyone?
- Pushchair reviews – how pushchairs score in our tough tests
- Child car seats – read our safety reviews for your baby or child
- Baby monitor reviews – keep an extra eye on your baby