Turkey, roast potatoes, gravy, sprouts, Christmas pudding and cake: a delicious festive feast that creates a kitchen full of washing up. So add our washing-up liquid and dishwasher tablet Best Buys to your Christmas shopping list to breeze through your piles of dirty dishes.
Christmas is about relaxing, spending time with friends and family and enjoying yourself. So the last thing you want is to be confined to the kitchen sink – either because your washing-up liquid isn’t up to scratch, or because your pots and pans are coming out of the dishwasher still dirty.
Thankfully, our dishwasher tablets and washing-up liquid tests this year revealed seven Best Buys. They’ve all excelled in our tough lab tests, so will help shift even the most stubborn Christmas dinner leftovers.
Crystal clear wine glasses
After spending hours in the kitchen to produce a delicious Christmas dinner, you don’t want it spoilt by having to serve it on stained plates with dull-looking cutlery and cloudy wine glasses. Our dishwasher tablet tests look at all of these. We measure how well each product prevents filming or cloudiness building up after several washes – and whether it leaves water marks.
We’ve found one dishwasher tablet that scores five stars for both these tests but another that scores just two stars for cloudiness – this means glasses will look foggy after a few washes. Check our full dishwasher tablet results to see which.
Using the right amount of salt and rinse aid is also important to get the best from your dishwasher. If you live in a hard water area, you’ll still need to use both of these for the best results even if you’re using an all-in-one tablet.
Washing up roasting trays
If you’re washing-up your Christmas dishes by hand, you’ll be facing fat left over from roasting potatoes and turkey. When fat’s baked-on at a high temperature, it’s the most difficult foodstuff to remove according to Which? members (online survey of 829 Which? members, June 2015).
So our washing-up liquid tests include a tough grease assessment, which simulates this type of fat. You can use our test results to find out which washing-up liquids will really cut-down on your scrubbing time. Three Best Buys were revealed in our latest tests and two excel at shifting baked-on grease – we reveal which in our full washing-up liquid results.
Avoid dishwasher problems
Follow our top five tips to keep your dishwasher working well over the festive period:
- Load your dishwasher correctly (and don’t overload) to make sure everything comes out clean. Put large items at the back and sides, roasting trays face down towards the lower spray arm and cutlery mixed up so it doesn’t stick together.
- Scrape plates, rather than rinsing – it saves water and avoids excess food going into the dishwasher.
- Clean your dishwasher’s filter to avoid trapped waste food ending up back on your dishes.
- Top up the salt and rinse aid when the indicator light shows (or monthly if your machine doesn’t have an indicator).
- If your dishwasher starts to smell, run it empty and hot. This will help remove any built-up food residue.