Cutting back on calories now the new year is here? If fat free yoghurt is front and centre on your January shopping list, we’ve found two tasty Best Buys to make abstinence more appealing.
We tasked more than 100 members of the public to try 10 fat free, Greek style yoghurts. Our taste test revealed two supermarket Best Buys that get a big tick for both flavour and price – all the more important if cash is a little tighter after Christmas.
One top scoring yoghurt was described as a ‘rich and creamy, lovely smooth yoghurt, with an excellent aftertaste’.
But our test also revealed that choosing the wrong yoghurt could leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Our lowest scorer was rated as having ‘not a nice flavour, it’s too sour and doesn’t taste like yoghurt’.
Discover which yoghurts came out best and worst in our best fat free, Greek style yoghurts.
Fat free can be creamy
January might be all about abstinence, but it’s much easier to stick to a diet if you don’t feel like you’re depriving yourself. With this in mind, we asked 60 people to rate one of our fat free, Greek style yoghurt Best Buys for creaminess and to tell us whether they thought it was full fat, low fat or fat free.
The good news is that half rated the fat free yoghurt 7/10 or higher for creaminess and only a fifth of tasters identified it as fat free. As one taster put it, ‘it tastes very creamy – if it is fat free, it is very good one that I could have every day’.
So if you’re looking for a way to reduce your fat intake in the New Year, it’s worth swapping your full fat or low fat yoghurt for fat free, to see if you can tell the difference.
The following yoghurts were included in our taste test:
- Asda Chosen by You Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt: £1.00, 500g
- Co-operative Loved by us 0% Greek Style Natural Yogurt £1.25, 500g
- Essential Waitrose fat free Greek style yogurt: £1.20, 500g
- Liberté 0% Fat Greek Style Yogurt – Natural (now called Liberté Naturally Thick Yogurt Natural 0% fat): £1.75 500g
- M&S Fat Free Greek Style Yogurt: £1.20, 500g
- Morrisons NuMe Fat Free Greek Style £1.00, 500g
- Rachel’s Organic Greek Style Fat Free Natural Yogurt: £1.89, 450g
- Sainsbury’s Fat Free Greek Style Natural Yogurt: £1.20, 500g
- Tesco 0% Fat Free Greek Style Yoghurt: £1.10, 500g
- Yeo Valley 0% Fat Greek Style Natural Yogurt: £1.70, 450g
Prices correct at the time of the taste test.
- See which other foods we’ve rated top in our taste test gallery
- Find out who’s a soaraway success in our supermarket survey
- Need a butter alternative? Check out our Best Buy spreads