Which? tries out new Dyson Supersonic hair dryerIs it worth spending £300 to dry your hair?
11 June 2016
The new Dyson Supersonic hair dryer comes with impressive claims and promises but its £300 price tag is eye-watering. We’ve had a look at it to bring you our experts’ first impressions.
The Dyson Supersonic has four settings (including a ‘no heat’ option), a cold shot and three airflow settings and a more compact design than you’d normally expect from a hair dryer – helped by the fact that the motor is in the handle rather than the head.
We tried out the new hair dryer on straight, wavy and curly hair to see how it fared.
One of our testers was really impressed that you could magnetically attach both the smoothing and styling nozzles and the diffuser to the hair dryer, making them easier to use and adjust.
But did our testers find the Dyson hair dryer simple to use overall? Did its claims of quietness live up to expectations? How easy was it for our testers to achieve their chosen styles?
Read our Dyson Supersonic First Look review.
What makes the Dyson Supersonic stand out?
There are no two ways about it: £300 is a lot to spend on a hair dryer for the home. But here are some of the reasons why Dyson reckons the Supersonic is worth it:
- It has an eight times faster motor – Dyson says its V9 digital motor is its smallest, lightest and most advanced digital motor, working much faster than other hair dryer motors, and weighing half as much. It’s in the hair dryer's handle rather than its head, to help reduce the size of the hair dryer.
- And faster airflow, too – 'Fast' is a buzzword for the Supersonic. Dyson says its airflow is fast but focused, which apparently helps you quickly dry your hair. It claims to multiply the air drawn into the motor by three to produce a high-pressure, high-velocity jet of air.
- Helps prevent extreme heat damage to hair – The Dyson Supersonic has something called 'intelligent heat control' which measures the temperature 20 times a second, to control the heating element.
- Dyson says it's quiet which might be a plus point for you don't want to annoy the neighbours if you're drying your hair early in the morning or late at night.
- Two-year guarantee on parts and labour.
1010Miles of human hair Dyson says were used in testing the Supersonic
Which? hair dryer reviews
Our full hair dryer reviews include models from the big brands – including Babyliss, Remington and Tresemme.
We’ve found Best Buys that you can rely on to do a brilliant job of drying your hair – whether quickly or gently. And you can pick up our cheapest Best Buy for less than £50, making it a much cheaper alternative to the new Dyson.
We’ve sent the Dyson hair dryer to the lab to discover if it really does blow the rest of the competition away – look out for our full review in August.
Looking for a hair dryer now? Make a good decision by checking out our Best Buy hair dryers.