Gas on glass hob pros and consby Jane Darling
A gas on glass hob is easy to control and easy to clean. Read the other pros and cons to find out if gas on glass is right for you.
Put us to the test
Our Test Labs compare features and prices on a range of products. Try Which? to unlock our reviews. You'll instantly be able to compare our test scores, so you can make sure you don't get stuck with a Don't Buy.
- Get the Which? verdict from our independent experts
- Weigh up the pros and cons in an instant
- Go to town on the details with our full review
- Read our member reviews to see what they think
- Is it a Don’t Buy? It could be a dud, and a costly one too
- 59 Hobs available
How a gas on glass hob works
If you’re looking for a hob that’s easy to control as well as easy to clean – and you don’t mind paying a bit more for the best of both worlds – a gas on glass hob may be the right choice for you.
A gas-on-glass hob is easier to clean than a standard gas hob
A gas on glass hob is essentially a gas hob mounted on top of ceramic glass – the smooth surface makes it stylish, modern and easier to wipe clean than a more intricate standard gas model, while the gas offers a more easily controllable heat source than an electric ceramic hob.
If you already know the kind of hob you're looking for, go straight to our hobs reviews for full test results for more than 30 hobs.
Gas on glass hob pros and cons
• Stylish and steamlined
• Easy to control heat and good overall heat distribution
• Easier to clean than a conventional gas hob
• More expensive than a conventional gas hob
• Slower to heat up than electric ceramic models
• Will need to be professionally installed
Getting a gas on glass hob installed
As with any gas-powered appliance, you shouldn't attempt to install it yourself. Enlist the services of a qualified professional accredited by the Gas Safe Register (previously Corgi registered) to install your gas on glass hob. To ensure an engineer is properly qualified to carry out the work, ask to see their Gas Safe Register card.
You can look for recommended gas engineers in your area on Which? Trusted Traders.
Browse the very best hobs in our hobs Best Buys.