Easy ways to collect autumn leaves
By Adelaide Gray
During years of testing leaf blowers we've found some great techniques for making clearing leaves easy.
Leaf blowers produce a concentrated jet of air to sweep leaves off surfaces, so you can form them into a heap. If you have a blower vac, it will also suck your collected leaves into a bag.
Below, we share our top tips for getting the best from either machine.
Looking for a new leaf blower or leaf blower vac? Find out which one is right for you with our Best Buy leaf blowers and leaf blower vacs.
Get the most from a leaf blower or blower vac
- Leaf blowers are versatile machines. You can use them for clearing snow from your path and sweeping your drive. You can even blast dust and dirt from your car boot.
- On the lawn, we find it best to blow leaves in a sweeping motion to clear large areas. Blow the leaves together to form big piles, then either use a lawnmower to mulch and collect them or switch to vacuum mode and suck them up.
- Leaf blowers come into their own if you want to remove leaves from areas of gravel or flower borders. Blow them onto a hard surface where you can collect them easily.
- There’s no need to scoop up the leaf pile you’ve gathered on the lawn. Blow the leaves onto a thick tarpaulin or heavy plastic sheet and drag it to the compost heap.
- If you’re blasting leaves off your patio, blow them onto your lawn and then mow to collect them.
- You don’t have to rely just on the jet of air to free up leaves – most blowers are designed for you to use the end of the nozzle to give stubborn stuck-down leaves a little scrape.
You might find that a decent broom is just as quick at removing leaves from hard surfaces. On lawns, a leaf rake is effective, but hard work. Try one of our Best Buys, such as the Wolf-Garten Multi-Change UiMC Leaf Rake, which costs around £17.
Consider using your mower to collect leaves from the lawn. Put it on a high setting and it will partially shred the leaves as it collects them.
Leaf grabbers, such as the Darlac Grab and Lift (£20) are an effective way of filling bags or the wheelbarrow. Alternatively, use the traditional method of two pieces of board.