Which? Best Buy record players and turntables
Which? Best Buy record players produce a great-quality sound and are ready to use straight out the box. Read on for our exclusive Best Buys.
You don’t want a record player that scratches your valuable records, is confusing to use or adds background fuzz to your favourite track. Our independent reviews give you the inside scoop on what record players are worth investing in and which ones will leave you less than impressed.
In fact, our tests go further than anyone else to uncover the Best Buys that will play all the right notes.
- Each record player is placed in front of our expert listening panel, who use their finely tuned ears to pick out the best of the bunch.
- We test classic record players and ones that will digitise your records. Our expert panel even listen to the digitised versions of tracks to make sure they’re up to scratch too.
- We look at all components of each record player to check what you get and what you don’t. This is to make sure you aren’t missing a piece that will stop you from playing your records straight out the box.
How we uncover the best record players
We spend hours reviewing each record player to bring you the information you’ll need to make the best decision. We’ve tested all the top brands, such as Crosley and ION, to see if they live up to your expectations.
- Sound quality: by far the most important part of testing record players. That’s why it makes up 60% of our overall test score.
- Ease of use: we look at how easy each record player is to set up and if you need to buy any extra parts, such as the cartridge or stylus. We also look at if the record player is manual or automatic, if the instructions are of any use and how easy it is to play and digitise records.
- Digitisation: we look at record players that will digitise your record collection and how well they do this. Do they leave records scratched? Do they get rid of background noise and faults in a track when it is on the computer? Does the software used separate and name each track for you?
Record player reviews you can trust
We’ve tested record players from the biggest brands – including Crosley, ION, GPO and Pioneer – to uncover the truth behind their claims.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
If you’re a Which? member, you can log in now to unlock the Best Buy [product] reviews on this page.
Not yet a Which? member? Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content - including record players - and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.