About British Gas
British Gas is the biggest energy supplier in Britain's domestic market. Operating under the British Gas brand (Scottish Gas in Scotland), it has more than 15 million gas and electricity customers in the UK. British Gas also operates the Sainsbury's Energy brand. Customers of both brands are able to collect Nectar points each year, as well as for actions like switching payment method or giving their own meter reading.
British Gas is a subsidiary company of the Centrica Group, a British-owned company.
To compare British Gas prices please visit Which? Switch or call 01992 822867 (Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm).
British Gas fuel mix disclosure
All suppliers have to provide information about the mix of fuels they use to generate the electricity supplied to their customers as well as its environmental impact.
British Gas fuel mix
- Coal 13.7%
- Natural gas 50%
- Nuclear 26.5%
- Renewable* 7.9%
- Other 1.8%
* Wind, hydro and solar power.
About the Centrica Group
Centrica's main operations are in the UK, North America and Europe. It also operates in Trinidad and Tobago, Egypt and Nigeria. Its core retail brands are British Gas, Luminus and Direct Energy.
Customer service number for existing customers- 08000480202
Customer service for switching - 08000480505
Price Promise July 2014
- Prices are fixed until 31st July 2014 at a premium of 6.4% above British Gas Clear and Simple tariff rates.
- Cancellation charge of £35 per fuel applies to this tariff should you switch before the end date
Clear and Simple
- This tariff has replaced Standard tariff of British Gas
- Also available with Energy Smart
- No end date
- As a British Gas customer you will have access to 6,000 qualified engineers 365 days a year via On Call Assistance at a special discount
|Clear and Simple tariff history|
|Jun 2012||Nov 2012|
|Avg. annual price||£1,193||£1,270|
Online Variable May 2014
- Variable tariff with guaranteed 4% discount on standard rates until 31st May 2014
- Cancellation charge of £30 per fuel applies should you switch before the end date.
- Paperless billing, Online Account Management and Direct Debit are mandatory.
- Available with and without EnergySmart