Npower is a wholly owned subsidiary of RWE Group, a German company. RWE Npower is one of the largest suppliers of gas and electricity to homes and businesses in the UK, with around 3.5 million customers. It also produces around 10% of the electricity used in the UK.
Npower was created when it combined the former electricity and gas supply business of MEB, Calortex, MEB Powerline, National Power Energy Direct and Independent Energy, Yorkshire Electricity and Northern Electric and Gas.
Could you save by switching to Npower? Compare energy prices online with Which? Switch.
Npower fuel mix disclosure
All energy suppliers have to provide information about the mix of fuels they use to generate energy supplied to gas and electricity customers and its environmental impact.
Npower fuel mix
- Coal 33.6%
- Natural gas 51%
- Nuclear 0.4%
- Renewable* 14%
- Other 1%
* Wind, hydro and solar power
Customer service number for existing customer - 0800 316 3375
Customer service for switching customer - 0800 073 3000
Phone calls: Calling Npower on a 0800 number is normally free when you call from a land-line but charges may vary if you use a mobile.
*In January 2014, OFGEM lowered their estimates of the average kilowatt amounts of energy used by UK households. Figures quoted in the tariff tabs below from January 2014 onwards reflect the new amounts, of 3,200kwh per annum for standard electricity meter customers and 13,500kwh per annum for gas customers.
- Standard gas and electricity from Npower
- This standard tariff is flexible, so you can choose to pay by Direct Debit, cash, cheque or pay as you go if you have a prepayment meter.
|Standard tariff history|
|Oct 2011||Feb 2012||Nov 2012||Oct 2013||Feb 2014|
|Avg. annual price||£1,187||£1,149||£1,258||£1,396||£1,205|
Price Protector September 2016
- Prices are fixed until 30th September 2016
- No early exit fees
- Reduction to your standing charge equivelant to £90 per year when you choose to pay by Direct Debit
Intelligent Fix - April 2017
- Prices are fixed at the rate you sign up to until 30th April 2017
- An early exit fee of £50 applies to this tariff
- This tariff includes a nest theromostat (a seperate charge of £99 applies to this item)
Online Price Fix April 2016
- Prices are fixed until 30th April 2016
- No early exit fees
- Duel fuel discount applied to the standing charge: £40 for electricity and £50 for gas.