LED, LCD and plasma TV: What size TV should I buy?
- Select the right TV screen size for with our interactive tool
- Input your viewing distance to find the right screen size
- Recommendations for standard and high-definition, plus 3D TV
TV screen size calculator
TVs come in a range of sizes from as small as 19-inch to 50-inches and above - so how do you know which to go for? Use our interactive tool to find the ideal size for your room, depending on what you'll be watching.
In reality most of us don't watch just one type of TV or another, we watch a mixture of standard and high definition TV. There's no absolute golden rule about screen size, and the final decision will often be down to your personal preference and the size of your room.
Which TVs are the best in the size I want?
Read our expert reviews in the screen size you've decided on to find the perfect model.
Where will your new TV live?
If you're still undecided, we recommend screen sizes to consider depending on which room you're planning to put it in.
- TV for kitchens, bedrooms and smaller living rooms Look for 19 to 26-inch TVs here. Anything bigger may dominate your room and clearly display the lines and pixels that make up the picture, especially if you're watching in standard definition. Digital TV is compressed for broadcast resulting in this loss of quality and other common problems such as a granular effect known as 'picture noise'. The closer you sit, the more apparent this may become. Read our reviews of 19 to 26-inch TVs.
- TV for living rooms Mid to large size TVs are usually great if you plan to watch in high definition (HD) in your living room. A 40-inch screen is best watched at around 2.5 metres when watching in HD.If you're watching in standard definition, a 32-inch TV is best from the same 2.5 metre viewing distance. The extra detail of HD means you can watch from the same viewing distance as you normally do but with a bigger screen, and at the same time have less chance of seeing adverse side effects. All manufacturers have a wide range of TVs between 32-inch and 42-inch. Read our reviews of 32 to 42-inch TVs.
- TV for larger rooms If you're looking for the perfect home cinema experience, bigger TV screen sizes tend to do the most justice to the extra detail of HD. They also provide the most immersive experience when watching films or a big sports event. Make sure your room is big enough though. Read our reviews of 46 to 60-inch TVs.
What if I want to watch in 3D?
For the optimum 3D experience our expert viewing test panel watch from a distance of four times the screen height away from the screen. Sitting close to a 3D TV reduces the chance of being distracted by the frame of the TV, and helps you feel more involved in the action overall. Fine detail on-screen tends to be of lesser importance than on HD and standard definition, as the brain concentrates more on the 3D depth effect.