Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy.

How to find lost bank and savings accounts

By Chiara Cavaglieri

Put us to the test

Our Test Labs compare features and prices on a range of products. Try Which? to unlock our reviews. You'll instantly be able to compare our test scores, so you can make sure you don't get stuck with a Don't Buy.

How to find lost bank and savings accounts

Billions are lying unclaimed in lost bank, building society and NS&I accounts. In this guide we take you through the simple steps you should take to re-trace your lost money online.

How to find lost bank accounts and lost savings

If you think you may have a lost bank account or a lost savings account there are tracing schemes that can help.

The easiest way to re-trace lost savings is to use the mylostaccount.org.uk service, run by the British Bankers' Association, Building Societies Association and National Savings and Investments (NS&I). 

You can search banks, building societies and all NS&I products free of charge by completing one form online. Searches with banks and building societies will be completed within three months and within one month for NS&I.

The form will ask you to provide information about you such as current contact details, your date of birth and any previous addresses and names. 

You will also need to provide as much information as you can about the account you think you have lost, such as:

  • The branch you opened it at 
  • When you opened it
  • When you last used it 
  • An approximate balance
  • Type of account
  • Sort code and account number

Paper mylostaccount forms are also available in bank and building society branches. If the provider finds an account that matches your information, it will contact you to explain how you can access the unclaimed funds, including any interest, in the account. You will need to provide proof of identity in order to access the money. 

If you know which provider your lost account is with you can also contact it directly. You can also use NS&I's tracing service for lost savings held with it.

Find out more: Read our step-by-step guide – how to find the best savings account

Tracing lost investments and pensions

Monimine is the only tracing service we're aware of that checks multiple asset types free of charge (it charges financial companies instead, relative to the volume of customers they have). 

This doesn't cover all financial institutions, so if you don't get a match, there are other options:

  • For workplace pension schemes, contact your former employer or use the Government's free online Pension Tracing Service to identify the correct contact details.
  • For personal pension savings, call the Pensions Advisory Service, providing them with as much information as possible about the scheme, your dates of employment and copies of any certificates you still have.
  • If you think you have company shares, but have lost your share certificate, you can check by applying to one of the three main company registrars – Capita Registrars, Computershare and Equiniti. They’ll search their records and, for a fee, will supply a replacement certificate. If you've lost track of shares bought via a nominee account you would need to contact the broker. 
  • For other investment products, the Investment Association may be able to help.

You could also consider using the Unclaimed Assets Register to trace any lost investments in one go. It’s a database of investments, pensions and life insurance policies held with 76 major providers, including share registrars, administered by Experian. But you'll have to pay a fixed fee of £25 for the service. 

What happens to lost money?

If your bank or building society loses touch with you it will mark your account as ‘dormant’.

There are two situations where your account can become dormant:

  1. Your provider receives bank undelivered mail. They will make the account dormant for security reasons to prevent identity fraud
  2. There has been no activity on the account (i.e. withdrawals or deposits) for a set period of time. Typically three years for savings accounts and one year for current accounts.

Once a bank marks your account as dormant it will stop contacting you and no further action will be taken with the account.

After 15 years, under the government’s dormant accounts scheme, unclaimed money in dormant bank accounts is given to charitable causes.

However, you will still be able to reclaim your money after this point by following the procedure explained above.

  • Last updated: November 2017
  • Updated by: Chiara Cavaglieri

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.