Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy.

How to reduce your tax bill

By Ian Robinson

Put us to the test

Our Test Labs compare features and prices on a range of products. Try Which? to unlock our reviews. You'll instantly be able to compare our test scores, so you can make sure you don't get stuck with a Don't Buy.

How to reduce your tax bill

Regardless of your age, there are a number of ways you can reduce the amount you are assessed on for tax.

1. Switch to tax-free savings

If the interest you receive from savings in standard savings accounts is more than the new personal savings allowance (£1,000 for basic rate taxpayers, £500 for higher rate taxpayers), consider transferring money into tax-free investments. 

If you're considering switching to a tax-free savings account, the Which? Money Compare tables let you search hundreds of cash Isa deals from providers large and small so that you can find a good home for your nest egg. 

2. Make donations to charity

Donations to charity under Gift Aid also reduce your 'adjusted net income' used to calculate your personal allowance.

3. Transfer assets to your spouse

If your husband, wife or civil partner is a non-taxpayer or pays basic-rate tax it could be worth transferring income-producing assets such as savings or equities into their name. 

4. Top up your pension

If you've decided to work past state retirement age and haven't started drawing a personal or company pension, making payments into a pension scheme should reduce your 'adjusted net income' which is used to calculate your personal allowance.

5. Switch to capital growth-generating investments

If you hold investments that generate high dividends each year, it might be worth transferring them to capital-growth investments instead. 

That way you'll reduce your taxable dividend income and should be able to make use of the 2017-18 tax-free £11,300 annual capital gains tax allowance when you cash in your investment.

  • Last updated: April 2017
  • Updated by: Tom Wilson

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.