People who take shark cartilage capsules have been warned to be on their guard after the potentially lethal bug salmonella was found in certain batches of the capsules in the US.
Shark cartilage capsules are a food supplement believed by some to help promote healthy joints.
But US authorities are recalling some of the capsules over fears they could be contaminated with salmonella.
Although the Food Standards Agency doesn’t believe the affected capsules are on sale at UK stores, they may have been bought through internet and mail order suppliers.
Salmonella is the second most common cause of food poisoning and symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and, in some cases, very serious illness or even death.
Dr Judith Hilton, Head of Microbiological Safety at the Food Standards Agency, said: ‘The presence of salmonella in a food supplement is unacceptable and potentially hazardous. It’s important that consumers of these capsules check that their personal supplies are not affected.’
The affected shark cartilage capsules were sold under the following labels, lots and codes:
- Puritan’s Pride brand shark cartilage capsules, product no. 6580, 100 capsule size – UPC 74312 16580 1, lot no. 66293
- Nature’s Bounty brand shark cartilage capsules, product no. 6581, 30 capsules + 30 free size – UPC 74312 06581 1, lot no. 66293
- Rexall Sundown brand shark cartilage capsules, product no. 6635, 50– UPC 30768 06635 2, lot no. 66293
- Vitamin World brand shark cartilage capsules, product no. 6580, 100 capsule size – UPC 74312 76580 3, product no. 6582, 200 capsule size – UPC 74312 76582 7, product no. 6585, 400 capsule size – UPC 74312 76585 8, lot no. 66293
- Natural Wealth brand shark cartilage capsules, product no. 6581, 30 – lot no. 64950 (expiry date 8/08).