Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

Shoppers to get help with EU shopping woes

New centre will provide specialist advice


A picture of an anxious man on the phone

You can buy dental insurance over the phone as a stand alone product

British shoppers can now get specialist help if they have complaints about any European-based shops and businesses.

The UK European Consumer Centre (UK ECC) officially opens today and promises to help resolve complaints about traders or businesses based on the Continent.

The centre, which is co-funded by the government, will focus on complaints arising from online shopping, internet auctions, flights and holidays.

Overseas shopping

Consumer Minister Gareth Thomas said: ‘People shouldn’t just forget about an online or overseas shopping experience that goes wrong.

‘Consumers have rights when they shop within Europe and the government has funded this centre to help people secure them.’

The centre will be officially opened at the Trading Standards Institute headquarters in Basildon, Essex.

Shoppers who want help or advice about goods or services purchased from countries within the EU, or from Iceland or Norway, can get in touch via its helpline – 08456 04 05 03.

Consumer rights

The consumer rights section of the Which? website can help you with a whole host of problems.

We have advice on everything from shopping online, to faulty goods and internet auction sites.

We also explain how using your credit card abroad can give you extra protection if you get lumbered with shoddy goods, and how to avoid holiday club scams.

Back to top