Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

HMRC relaxes Self Assessment deadline

Tax returns delivered by hand allowed extension

Tax basics

If you’re self employed, you’ll need to fill in a tax return

Taxpayers who miss the official filing date for paper tax returns of Friday 31 October may not have to pay the usual late filing fine of £100.

However, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has announced that this only applies if the tax return is delivered to an HMRC office before it opens on Tuesday 4 November. And not all tax offices have letterboxes, so consumers should not rely on this relaxation of the rules.

Returns sent by post must still arrive by 31 October, so if you file a paper tax return, and haven’t sent it in yet, you need to get all your documentation together now – for example your P60, records of savings and investments, self-employment accounts and details of any untaxed income.

Online filing

From this year, there are different deadlines for paper and online tax returns – 31 October 2008 for paper and 31 January 2009 for online.

HMRC has also launched a podcast and further help is available from the HMRC Self Assessment helpline on 0845 9000 444.

Back to top