The BBC’s iPlayer delivered record end-of-year viewing figures, the BBC has revealed, marking a huge upsurge in the number of consumers viewing online TV programmes using BBC iPlayer.
The performances were part of an exceptionally strong Christmas period for BBC Vision, the corporation said.
Jana Bennett, director BBC vision, said: ‘This was an excellent Christmas for BBC Vision as audiences fully embraced on demand alongside their traditional viewing.
‘The fact that BBC1 delivered 17 out of the top 20 programmes on BBC iPlayer and nine out of 10 on traditional TV continues to prove that our channel brands remain strong across all of our platforms.’
BBC iPlayer downloads
December 2008 saw 41 million requests to view BBC programmes via iPlayer, the biggest month since launch in December 2007, according to the broadcaster.
This compared with just over 35 million requests in November 2008.
The total number of requests for the year now stands at 271 million, from Christmas Day 2007 to Christmas Day 2008.
During the seven day period from Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve, the total number of requests to view BBC TV programmes via iPlayer was eight million.
BBC iPlayer programmes
The Top 20 programmes on BBC iPlayer during this Christmas period were:
- Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death
- Doctor Who: The Next Doctor
- Top Gear series 12 episode 8 (Vietnam)
- Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special
- The Royle Family The New Sofa
- EastEnders (Boxing Day episode)
- Outnumbered series 2 episode 7
- EastEnders (9pm Christmas Day episode)
- EastEnders (December 29)
- EastEnders (8pm Christmas Day episode)
- Mock the Week series 6 episode 13
- Have I Got News for You Christmas Special 2008
- EastEnders (December 30 episode)
- Blackadder Rides Again
- The 39 Steps
- Top Gear series 9 episode 3
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks series 18 episode 4
- EastEnders (Christmas Eve episode)
- Survivors episode 6
- Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special 2008
© Press Association 2009
For daily consumer news, subscribe to the . If you have an older web browser you may need to copy and paste this link into your newsreader: https://www.which.co.uk/feeds/reviews/news.xml . Find out more about RSS in the Which? guide to news feeds.
Sign up to the Which? weekly technology email
Keep your finger on the pulse of digital technology with the weekly email from the Which? Technology team. Every Tuesday we’ll send you the latest news and reviews of MP3 players, mobile phones, cameras, high-definition TVs and other gadgets. Packed with the latest product launches, First Look reviews, expert advice and some incredible deals – can you afford not to be the first to find out? Plus everyone who signs up will be entered into our free prize draw with a chance to win a 32GB iPod Touch.