Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

LG leapfrogs Motorola in mobile phone marketshare

LG takes 3rd spot in global mobile phone market

LG KC910 Renoir

LG KC910 Renoir

LG has climbed above Motorola in the global mobile phone market share to take third place, behind Nokia and Samsung.

According to figures published by Digitimes, LG Electronics shipped slightly more than 100 million units last year, while Motorola shipped slightly fewer than 100 million units. The published figures indicate that Sony Ericsson holds the fifth largest share of the international mobile phone market.

The global standings differ somewhat from the UK’s mobile phone market, where Nokia dominates with an estimated 43% of the share, followed by Samsung with 21%, and then Sony Ericsson with 18%. In 2008 in the UK, according to estimates made by Mintel, LG hold the fourth largest share of the market with 7%, while Motorola holds just 5%.

Nokia and Samsung enjoy UK market share growth

Of the five major brands, Nokia and Samsung have seen the UK largest market share growth since 2005, with 8% and 7% increases respectively. Motorola has seen a decrease in the UK’s market share over the same period, with a -4% demise.

Guy Widdowson, senior business researcher at Which?, said: ‘Motorola has failed to recreate the popularity that the Motorola Razr mobile phone enjoyed several years ago, while Nokia continues to produce ‘hero products’ such as the Nokia N95. Nokia certainly seems to know the market very well and caters for a very broad taste.’

Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola make up a combined 94% of the UK’s mobile phone market, with other manufacturers, such as Apple and BlackBerry contributing towards the remaining 6%.

To help you choose the best mobile phone, visit the Which? mobile phone reviews.

RSS Feed

For daily consumer news, subscribe to the here. If you have an older web browser you may need to copy and paste this link into your newsreader: https://www.which.co.uk/feeds/reviews/news.xml . Find out more about RSS in the Which? guide to news feeds.

Sign up to the Which? weekly technology email

Keep your finger on the pulse of digital technology with the weekly email from the Which? technology team. Every Tuesday we’ll send you the latest news and reviews of MP3 players, mobile phones, cameras, high-definition TVs and other gadgets. Packed with the latest product launches, First Look reviews, expert advice and some incredible deals – can you afford not to be the first to find out?

Back to top