Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy.

Ensure you’re insured in the snow

What's likely to be covered by your insurance

With widespread disruption to the UK’s travel network, and heavy snow having the potential to damage property, the ABI (Association of British Insurers) has issued advice to consumers.

Household insurance

Snow damage may be covered under the ‘storm’ provision within buildings insurance policies. 

The ABI has a list of helplines for most insurance companies, many of which operate around the clock.

Nick Starling, the ABI‘s director of general insurance and health, said: ‘Severe weather conditions cause great disruption and inconvenience, and insurance is there to help soften the blow. 

‘People who have suffered flight delays or damage to their home or vehicle due to the weather should contact their insurance company for advice.’

Motor insurance

Accidents caused by snow or ice will be covered under comprehensive motor insurance policies but claims against other motorists will only be valid if negligence can be proved. 

The cost of breakdowns or vehicles that fail to start is not covered – motorists should contact their breakdown or roadside assistance provider, which is often bundled with motor insurance policies. 

Travel insurance

Delays at snowbound airports are usually covered. Typically, cover begins after passengers have been delayed for a period of time specified in their policy (typically eight or 12 hours). 

The policy will then pay a cash amount of around £50 for each subsequent eight or 12 hour delay, up to a maximum limit. Some policies may pay for flights missed because the passenger is unable to reach the airport due to bad weather.

Cancellation of flights due to bad weather is unlikely to be covered – insurance typically only covers passengers if they have to cancel their flight due to events like illness or redundancy. 

You should check the details of your policy, as cover does vary, and read our guide to flight delays and cancellations for more information. 

Latest money news

For daily consumer news, subscribe to the here.

If you have an older web browser you may need to copy and paste this link into your newsreader: https://www.which.co.uk/feeds/reviews/news.xml . Find out more about RSS in the Which? guide to news feeds.

Categories: Uncategorised

Back to top