People can make their own luck this Friday 13th by having a go at dating online, says Which.co.uk.
In a survey of more than 1,500 online dating website users, Which.co.uk found nearly a fifth of online daters have either married someone they met online or know someone who has.
More than half of all online dating site users Which.co.uk surveyed have been on a date with someone they met online since registering with an online dating site.
Top rated online dating sites
While Match.com and Dating Direct were the most commonly used sites, Fit Lads, a gay dating website, received the highest customer score. This was followed by free dating site Plentyoffish.com which is one of the easiest sites to use and received the highest number of five out of five star ratings. At the other end of the table were Person.com, Mate 1 and Loopylove.
The under 35s were more likely to know someone who had been on a date or had a long-term relationship with someone they’ve met through an online dating site. But hopeless romantics of all ages can rest assured – Which.co.uk found that over half of people surveyed have been on a date with someone they met online.
Jess Ross, Editor, Which.co.uk, says: ‘Online dating is revolutionising the way people meet each other and switching the computer on could be the first step to success.
‘Why not make Friday 13th your lucky day by taking the plunge and giving online dating a whirl?’
Top tips for online dating success
A total of 62% of the online daters agreed it’s easier to meet people through online dating than in other ways. Which.co.uk has the following tips for those people who want to take the plunge:
- Choose a memorable username – it’s often the first thing that other users notice so choose one that’s memorable and says something about you
- Be realistic – remember that online dating is a way to meet interesting and new people – don’t assume that every person is your future partner
- Play the field – most users will be talking to lots of members, so be prepared and do the same
- Make the first move – be brave and email other singles using online dating sites
- Review your progress – take a look at the replies you’re getting. You may need to adjust your profile or try a new site if you’re not meeting the right people
Which? RSS feed
For daily consumer news, subscribe to the Which? news RSS feed here. If you have an older web browser you may need to copy and paste this link into your newsreader: https://www.which.co.uk/feeds/reviews/news.xml . Find out more about RSS in the Which? guide to news feeds.
Sign up to the Which? technology focus email
Keep your finger on the pulse of digital technology with the weekly email from the Which? Technology team.
Every Tuesday we’ll send you the latest news and reviews of MP3 players, mobile phones, cameras, high-definition TVs and other gadgets.
Packed with the latest product launches, First Look reviews, expert advice and some incredible deals – can you afford not to be the first to find out?
Plus there are regular prize draws – we’ve already given away a 32GB iPod Touch.