Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

Corgi replaced by Gas Safe Register scheme

Any boiler engineer must be on Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe Register logo

The new Gas Safe Register replaces Corgi as Britain’s gas safety scheme on 1 April this year.

By law, anyone who works on gas appliances, such as boilers, will need to be on the Gas Safe Register.

There are currently 120,000 engineers signed up to the Corgi scheme. They are changing to the Gas Safe Register so that they can continue to work legally from 1 April.

Finding a gas engineer

If you need a gas engineer to fix a boiler or other gas appliance you can search the  Gas Safe Register or call 0800 408 5500. You can also search Which? Local for engineers on the Gas Safe Register who have been recommended by Which? members.

The Gas Safe Register says that keeping the public safe is its top priority and it wants to target unregistered installers.

Your gas engineer should be carrying a Gas Safe Register card – make sure you check it.

Gas risks

More than 25 people a year die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning due to gas appliances being installed badly or not properly maintained, according to official figures. Another 40 die from gas explosions. Many more suffer health problems from CO exposure directly related to gas. 

Ann Robinson, Gas Safe Register’s director of public awareness, said: ‘Gas safety is a life or death matter that affects the entire nation. As the new hallmark for gas safety in Great Britain from 1 April, Gas Safe Register will raise public awareness of the dangers of using unregistered installers and explain how easy it is to avoid them by always using a registered engineer.’

See the Which? guide on boiler maintenance tips for more advice on boilers.

Back to top