Dyson is warning DCO5 Motorhead vacuum cleaner owners to check their appliance after receiving six people reported suffering minor electric shocks from their vacs due to a ‘rare’ fault with the handle.
A spokesman from the vacuum cleaner company told Which? there had been ‘half a dozen reports of minor incidents in the UK.’
In an official safety notice Dyson says: ‘In rare instances the clip on DCO5 Motorhead wand handles has been found to crack and this can cause the hose to become detached resulting in electrical connections being exposed.’ Users risk electrical shock or a burn ‘if these connections are touched while the machine is plugged in’.
Dyson is issuing anyone who owns this vacuum cleaner model a simple reinforcing cuff to protect and strengthen the handle.
Which? vacuum cleaner reviews – take a look at our latest, comprehensive lab tests of more than 100 models, including 15 Dyson vacuum cleaners.
Checking your Dyson DCO5 Motorhead
If you have a Dyson DCO5 Motorhead you should unplug the vac to check if the hose is intact.
- If the hose is detached or loose, contact Dyson immediately on 0800 954 0151.
- If the hose is firmly attached, your vacuum cleaner remains safe to use, according to Dyson. A free reinforcing wand cuff is available to prevent any future problems.
- Dyson is also offering customers the chance to buy a new Dyson vacuum cleaner at a discounted rate, if they wish.
Visit the Dyson website for more information, including how to get hold of and fit a reinforcing wand cuff.
Dyson DCO5 Motorhead warning
Dyson told Which? sales of the DCO5 Motorhead ‘represents less than half a per cent of the 11 million vacuum cleaners’ sold in the UK since 2000 – that’s less than 55,000 models. A total of 160,000 of the vacs have been sold across Europe, Australia, Japan and Russia.
The risk only applies to the DCO5 Motorhead vacuum cleaner sold between 2000 and 2005. No other Dyson or Dyson DCO5 vacuum cleaner is affected.
More from Which? Home and Garden…
- Read the latest reviews and expert advice in our Home & Garden section
- For the latest home, travel and garden news follow @WhichUK on Twitter
- Get instant access to our member-only reviews by taking a £1 trial to Which?