Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

Are you a fickle online shopper?

Internet 'awash with window shoppers', study finds

Online shopping

63% of Brits find checking out online frustrating

Only 7% of internet shoppers commit to making a purchase when they’re browsing online, according to a new study – while the remaining 93% ‘window shop’, just as they would on the high street.

And even after an online shop entices a customer to place a product into their virtual baskets, there’s still no guarantee the sale will be closed – with 28% of visitors who start a purchase never actually completing it.

Online payment service SagePay polled more than 2,000 online stores on how customers behave, in the same week a separate survey suggested online checkout queues cost shops £420 million a month – because more than half of shoppers abandon making an purchase due to lengthy and frustrating checkout processes.

Online window shopping

For tips and advice on how to have a hassle-free online shopping experience, check out our guide to common problems when shopping online. 

According to Simon Black, SagePay’s managing director: ‘Flitting from site to site, it takes a lot to entice today’s shoppers. Once they’ve arrived in an online store, they might sniff around and put a thing or two in the shopping cart – but even when they have typed in their credit card number, there is still no guarantee that the sale will be closed. 

‘The modern shopper often looks for reassurance from a positive review, a special offer to make it more affordable, inexpensive delivery options and a quick, easy and secure way to pay.’

That said, online shopping sales continue to grow, with the World Cup helping to fuel a 22% uplift in sales in May compared to the same period last year.

Best online shops

Covering 82 websites across eight categories from entertainment retailers such as Play.com and Amazon.co.uk to clothing stores including Next.co.uk, Boden.co.uk and Johnlewis.com, our online shopping survey reveals the best and worst online shops for customer service, quality, products and price.

You can also find out how your favourite shops scored in our high street shops survey, including which stores were rated top for buying homewares, electrical appliances, toiletries, baby equipment and clothes.

More from Which? Home and Garden…


Back to top