We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Uninsured can claim compensation under the Riot Damages Act

Claim deadline extended from 14 to 42 days

Houses of Parliament

In a statement to the House of Commons, Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed compensation would be available under the Riot Damages Act for homeowners and businesses with properties destroyed by the violence and looting of the past few days.

Uninsured can claim compensation

While homeowners and businesses with insurance were likely to have protection from their insurance policies, the uninsured would have been left in a vulnerable position.

The Prime Minister confirmed: ‘Any individual, homeowner or business that has suffered damage to or loss of their buildings or property as a result of rioting, can seek compensation under the Riot Damages Act, even if uninsured.’

Claim period extended to 42 days

Compensation can be sought from an individual’s local police authority. Claims usually have to be received within 14 days but the Home Secretary, Theresa May, has granted an extension to 42 days.

£20m High Street Support Scheme

A £20m High Street Support Scheme – funded jointly by the Departments for Communities and Local Government, and Business Innovation and Skills – has been set up for the streets and areas where businesses were affected by the rioting.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said: ‘Our priority is to get local communities back on their feet, get businesses up and running again and make sure nobody is left without a roof over their head.’

The support scheme has been established to get businesses back up and trading again and meet short-term costs. Councils will be responsible for distributing the money and could use it to reduce business rates, finance building repairs or encourage customers back to the affected areas.

Banks to help businesses

The UK’s major banks have pledged to help businesses and have published contact numbers to help them deal with the aftermath. Banks have put special numbers in place for business customers to call, with many contacting affected businesses directly.

Help for consumers

We reported earlier this week that homeowners and drivers should be able to lodge insurance claims stemming from the riots in London and other major cities.

Visit the Which? Recommended Provider reviews on home insurance and car insurance for more information on policies.

pound coins

Which? Money when you need it

You can follow @WhichMoney on Twitter to keep up-to-date with our Best Rates and Recommended Provider product and service reviews.

Sign up for the latest money news, best rates and recommended providers in your newsletter every Friday.

Or for money-saving tips, and news of how what’s going on in the world of finance affects you, join Melanie Dowding and James Daley for the Which? Money weekly money podcast

For daily consumer news, subscribe to the Which? news RSS feed here. And to find out how we work for you on money issues, visit our personal finance campaigns pages.

Back to top
Back to top