We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Is your home hiding a silent killer?

Carbon monoxide gas leaks can be fatal

question mark under a house

Homeowners are being urged to keep their gas appliances in check to help prevent the leak of dangerous fumes.

Faulty gas cookers, fires and central heating systems can leak poisonous carbon monoxide – a gas which is incredibly hard to detect because it has no colour, taste or smell.

Find out how a carbon monoxide detector can help prevent a leak in your home becoming fatal. 

Carbon monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which starts on Monday 21 November, aims to highlight the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last year the deadly gas, which can be released by badly-fitted or poorly-maintained gas appliances, led to 4000 people going to A&E, 200 hospital admissions and 50 deaths, according to the Department of Health.

Symptoms of exposure include nausea and sickness, dizziness, tiredness and shortness of breath.

Gas safety advice

Which.co.uk has lots of advice on gas safety, including simple boiler maintenance and top tips on getting a good boiler service.

Gas Safe Register logo

Which? deputy home editor Natalie Hitchins says: ‘It’s vital to have all gas appliances regularly serviced and checked ensure they are operating correctly.

‘If you’re buying a new gas appliance – such as a gas boiler, oven or freestanding cooker – make sure its installed by a qualified professional on the Gas Safe Register.’

More on this…

Back to top
Back to top