Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

Travel insurance leaps by up to 250% for over-65s

Premiums surge overnight when you turn 65 or 66

Older couple looking at beach

Many travel insurance providers hike your premiums overnight when you celebrate your 65th or 66th birthday, new Which? research has uncovered.

When you turn 65 or 66, you can expect your premiums to rocket with 15 out of 48 annual worldwide policies for the over-60s. This includes policies from Columbus Direct, Debenhams, ETA and Insureandgo.

For example, a 65-year-old would pay £58.72 for an annual worldwide policy with Essential Travel. Turn 66 though and the price for the same customer leaps to £205.51. That’s an increase of 250% overnight.

These new findings highlight the need to shop around for insurance cover as you get older, switching each year if necessary.

No travel insurance cover for older travellers

As you get older, you may struggle to get travel insurance from your current provider. Of the 80 annual policies we looked at, 97% exclude people over a certain age. Just 9% offer cover for people in their 80s. Travel insurance providers with no upper age limit include Saga and Age UK.

For single-trip policies, 84% of companies apply an upper age limit and only 33% cover people in their 80s.

How much does travel insurance cost for over-65s?

As with private medical insurance and life insurance, travel cover gets more expensive as you get older. So while someone under 55 could pay as little as £33 for an annual policy, the cheapest policy that meets our criteria for over-65s will cost around £74.

Once you reach 70, prices start at £109 a year, while for over-80s you can expect to pay from £349. If this sounds too expensive, you might want to consider a single-trip policy instead, particularly if you don’t go abroad more than once or twice a year. Worldwide single-trip policies for the over-70s can be as low as £55, while premiums are as little as £72 for over-75s and £107 for over-80s.

More on this…

  • Travel insurance reviews – we round up the best travel policies for different age groups
  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) – make sure you can get medical treatment if you fall ill abroad
  • Which? Recommended Providers for travel insurance – get the best travel cover and the best service
Back to top