Which? reveals that you don’t have to spend a fortune on school uniform. We’ve weighed up price and quality of widely available school uniforms and found that Asda is top for overall value.
We went to Asda, BHS, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury’s and Tesco and bought the same five items (boys’ trousers, a girls’ shirt, a jumper, a polo shirt and a skirt) from each store.
We picked the cheapest items available on the day for seven-year-old children – but many of the shops have other school uniform ranges, which our tailor didn’t assess.
A professional tailor blind-assessed each item’s fabric quality, cut, shape and finish – which together resulted in an overall score. The tailor found all the items to be acceptable, but his assessment picked out certain options as better than others.
The tailor’s verdict on school uniforms
- Asda came top for overall value, after weighing up the price and our expert tailor’s quality ratings. It came second for price (£15.50) and ranked second overall with the tailor. Our expert said that the trousers in particular were ‘nice and strong for a child to wear’.
- Tesco was next, coming third for price (£18.50) and joint second with Asda for quality.
- Sainsbury’s was cheapest (£14.67), but ranked second to last for quality by the tailor.
- BHS ‘stuck out a mile’ to the tailor, with each uniform item scoring better for quality than its competitors. BHS was the most expensive (£28), but the tailor pointed out that both the ‘excellent’ finish and quality should make the uniform last.
- Marks & Spencer was the second most expensive (£19), though the items were from its ‘Outstanding Value’ range. Our expert placed all of the items last in his overall assessment.
Save money on school uniform
We bought multi-packs when individual uniform items were cheaper to do so. Interestingly, all of the cheapest uniform items we bought were part of a multi-pack – suggesting that stocking-up will save more.
Read our free back-to-school guide on current school uniform deals.
- What do you think of low-cost uniforms? Would you recommend any? Share your thoughts on Which? Conversation.
- See our free guide for back to school essentials.
- Make sure your child is safe on the school run. Get your child the right car seat.