IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
With stormy weather bringing strong winds and deep floods to many UK roads, off-roaders are more appealing than ever. Whether you fancy a compact crossover, a large seven-seater or a tough go-anywhere vehicle, you can find big savings online.
Hardy 4x4s can take snow drifts in their stride, but many can also wade through a few feet of water, which is perfect if you live in an area susceptible to flooding.
We’ve trawled through a number of brokers’ websites to find 4x4s that can cope with rough roads without breaking the bank. With discounts of £2,600 to £4,400 on an affordable compact crossover, a great value seven-seater and a tough more traditional off-roader – all with four-wheel drive, you’re sure to find a model that suits your needs.
Compact Skoda Yeti Outdoor 2.0 TDI CR SE 4×4 for just £18,241
The Skoda Yeti has been extremely popular thanks to its practical interior, striking styling and attractive price tag. Following a discount of £2,619, you can pick up a four-wheel-drive Yeti 2.0 TDI CR SE for just £18,241. This model doesn’t skimp on equipment, with dual-zone air conditioning, cruise control and rear parking sensors.
You also have the option of an off-road system, which maintains a steady speed down steep slopes, holds the brakes while you make hill starts and gives better grip on slippery surfaces like mud and snow.
Save £4,413 on Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi KX-2 with sat nav
If you need more space, look no further than the Kia Sorento. This car not only has four-wheel drive, but features seven seats as well. The Sorento is very comfortable to drive, with heated leather seats, automatic lights and wipers, and a reversing camera to take the stress out of driving.
Thanks to a discount of more than £4,400, you can find the Sorento KX-2 (with sat nav) for £25,552 online. This Kia has a strong diesel engine and an official fuel economy figure of 47.9mpg, so it should be relatively cheap to run. You also get a full size spare tyre, so if you do have a puncture you can just pop the new wheel on and be on your way.
Tough Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DI-DC  SG2 for £23,138
If you want the toughest off-roader for your money, the Shogun is for you. Although Mitsubishi dropped prices across the range by £4,000-£5,000 in August, we’ve found further discounts of more than £3,000, taking prices down to just £23,138 for the three-door Shogun 3.2 DI-DC  SG2 and £25,142 for the seven-seater five-door model.
With a lusty diesel engine under the bonnet, the Shogun sprints to 62mph in around 10 seconds and can tow 3,000kg and wade through 700mm of water. So it should work just as well off the road as on-tarmac.
Hot Car Deals:
- Skoda Yeti Outdoor 2.0 TDI CR SE 4×4 – £18,241 at Carfile
- Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi KX-2 [satnav] – £25,552 at Carfile
- Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DI-DC  SG2 3dr – £23,138 at Nationwide Cars
- Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DI-DC  SG2 5dr – £25,142 at Nationwide Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.