IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
The Vauxhall Astra may be consistently near the top of the UK car sales charts, but we’ve found substantial discounts of around 30% on both the sleek three-door and sensible five-door models.
Ford no longer sells a three-door Focus, but if you’re considering a Vauxhall Astra you have the choice of stunning three-door GTC and the practical five-door hatchback. Both models are decent to drive and they feel a lot higher quality than previous Astras.
At first glance, Astra prices seem on the high side. However, just a few minutes’ searching online can net savings of more than 30%. Bear these in mind and the Astra offers great value for money. With a wide range of models available, you should be able to find a model that suits your needs and budget.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full lab test review of the Vauxhall Astra
Save £5,500 on top choice diesel Vauxhall Astra
Our favourite five-door Astra is the diesel 1.7 CDTi (130) Ecoflex SRi. While this car would, in theory, cost you nearly £22,000 from a Vauxhall dealer, we’ve found it available online for just £16,272 – a saving of 25%. With this engine under the bonnet, the Astra returns a claimed 62.8mpg and can accelerate to 62mph in a reasonable 9.9 seconds.
In SRi form you get 17-inch alloy wheels, firmer sports suspension, sports front seats with extra side support, a trip computer and an alarm. Also standard are air conditioning, cruise control, six airbags and steering wheel audio controls.
Only £11,995 for new petrol Vauxhall Astra
For those with a little less to spend, less than £12,000 could get you the keys to a brand new Astra 1.4 Energy – a 31% saving on the list price. This 1.4-litre petrol model takes a pedestrian 12.9 seconds to accelerate to 62mph, although fuel bills should be manageable thanks to claimed fuel economy of 51.4mpg.
Energy specification includes essentials like six airbags and air conditioning, plus you also get luxuries like 17-inch alloy wheels, cruise control, Bluetooth for connecting your phone to the car and a USB connector so you can play music from your MP3 player via the car’s speakers.
28% discount on Vauxhall Astra 1.6T 16V Sport
If you don’t need the practicality of five doors and want some extra pace, we’ve found a £5,571 saving on the Astra GTC 1.6T Sport, dropping the price to just £14,324.
Thanks to a potent turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, this model sprints to 62mph in just 8.3 seconds, but fuel economy isn’t great (39.2mpg claimed). Standard equipment includes six airbags, air conditioning, a digital radio and cruise control, along with stylish 18-inch alloy wheels.
Hot Car Deals:
- Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTi  SRi 5dr – £16,272 at Nationwide Cars
- Vauxhall Astra 1.4 16V Energy 5dr – £11,995 at Perrys
- Vauxhall Astra GTC 1.6T 16V Sport 3dr – £14,324 at Nationwide Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.