The latest results from our cameras test lab are in, including our expert verdict on the Leica T. The stunning aluminium camera has claimed many plaudits for its design, but did this premium model earn our Best Buy rating?
Our digital camera tests assess photo quality, focusing and ease of use, and only the most impressive cameras are awarded our prestigious Best Buy rating. The latest tests reveal some bargains as well as models that don’t offer value for money.
Which? members can log in to see our new digital camera reviews and test results straight away. If you’re not yet a member you can sign up for a £1 trial to Which? to unlock this list and see all our test results and reviews – from digital cameras, TVs and tablets to washing machines, cars and coffee machines.
Which cameras have we tested?
Our latest batch contains the following four models:
- Leica T – a flagship compact system camera
- Pentax XG-1 – with a huge 52x optical zoom
- Canon PowerShot SX400 IS – a budget superzoom
- Canon PowerShot SX520 HS – a 42x optical zoom for under £300
How we test cameras
We go the extra mile when testing cameras. We’ve got shake machines to test a camera’s image stabilisation, a pressure tank to check waterproof models and a huge zoom room to assess telephoto images. Results from each of these individual tests are boiled down into our final test score, and excellent performance is rewarded with our Best Buy accolade.
A top-rated camera should have:
- Great photo quality, even in low light
- Fast, accurate focusing
- A clear and vibrant display for composing photos
- Expert image stabilisation to compensate for camera shake
- Convenient, easy to use design with simple menu navigation
If it meets these criteria, and its manufacturer hasn’t flopped in our annual reliability survey, then the camera will be celebrated as a Best Buy.
- Best cheap compact cameras for under £200 – the best on test if you’re on a budget
- Best camera brands – find out a manufacturer’s average test score and Best Buy hit rate
- Digital camera accessories – useful accessories for compact and DSLR cameras