Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy

Budget 2016: Money Advice Service to close

New streamlined body to replace guidance service

Budget-2016 4

The government today announced plans to close the Money Advice Service (MAS) and merge the functions of The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) and Pension Wise.

The MAS has provided debt advice since 2010, but is set to be replaced by a new ‘slimmed down money guidance body’. 

TPAS and Pension Wise, meanwhile, will be merged to create a new ‘pensions guidance body’.

Find out more: visit the Which? Budget hub to get the lowdown on all of today’s key announcements

How will the new services work?

Full details of the government’s ‘new delivery model’ remain unclear, but it’s claimed that the new streamlined offerings will provide ‘frontline’ services for those with financial difficulties.

The government has announced a consultation on how the new services will be implemented, with final details expected in the autumn.

Catherine Rookes, chief executive for the Money Advice Service, said: ‘We will work with the government to fully consider the implications of this announcement. In the meantime, we will continue to fulfil our statutory role to help people make the most of their money.’ 

How Which? can help with your finances

Which? Money Helpline

The Which? Money Helpline offers independent, personalised guidance over the phone covering everything from tax to pensions.

Unlimited access to the Which? Money Helpline is available to Which? members.

If you’re not a Which? member, and you’d like to get unlimited access to our Money Helpline experts, you can subscribe today for just £1 for two months.

Free tools and calculators

You can keep a close eye on your finances by using our free tools and calculators:

Which? Savings Booster – discover how much extra interest you’d earn by switching provider 

Investment tool – use our unique portfolio builder tool to get started with your investments 

Which? tax calculator – calculate your personal allowances and deductions if you need to complete a self-assessment return

More on this:

Back to top