We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Coronavirus Read our latest advice

Ryanair reduces cabin bag allowance again

Only ‘small’ bags will be allowed on board for free

Ryanair reduces cabin bag allowance again

Ryanair has changed its cabin bag allowance for the second time this year, introducing a £6-£8 fee for passengers who want to bring a standard-sized cabin bag on board.

From November, passengers will only be permitted to take a ‘small bag’ on board for free. This must fit under the seat in front of you – meaning Ryanair’s free cabin bag allowance is restricted to handbags and rucksacks. The small bag size limit will be 40 x 20 x 25cm.

Those passengers who want to travel with a wheeled cabin bag weighing up to 10kg will need to pay £6-£8 for priority boarding, although availability will be limited, or £8 for a medium-sized cabin bag at the time of booking.

Is Ryanair the worst airline in the UK? Not quite. Read our best and worst airlines table to find out who is.

How Ryanair’s cabin bag rules have changed

Currently, all Ryanair passengers can bring two bags through airport security, rather than checking them in. However, only those who have paid for priority boarding are allowed to bring both bags on board. Other passengers have their second bag placed in the hold for free.

Even if you have already made a Ryanair booking from November, the new rules and fees will apply. Although, Ryanair has said that passengers who are unhappy with this change can apply for a full refund.

Why is Ryanair making these changes?

The airline claims the reduction in cabin bag allowance is intended to reduce delays and improve punctuality, rather than bank more cash from passengers.

A Ryanair spokesperson said: ‘This new policy will speed up boarding and cut flight delays. Some 60% of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect that the other 40% will either choose to buy Priority Boarding or a 10kg check bag, or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30% already do so today.’

How well do you know Ryanair?

Back to top
Back to top