Aldi are selling a set of garden power tools from 21 May 2020, all designed to use the same batteries. We took a first look to see if investing in this set is the bargain it seems.
Cordless garden power tools, such as lawn mowers and hedge trimmers, have become very popular in recent years as rechargeable battery technology has improved. As they’re not constrained by the length of a power cable, they allow you to work wherever you want and there’s no danger of cutting through an electric cable.
These cordless tools don’t usually come cheap though so the experts at Which? Gardening magazine were keen to try out the Aldi tools to see if they’re really the bargain that they appear to be.
Which garden power tools are in the Aldi range?
Aldi are offering the following garden power tools in the range. There are also some diy tools that use the same batteries:
- Cordless hedge trimmer – uses either a 20V or 40V battery
- Cordless grass trimmer – uses either a 20V or 40V battery
- Cordless lawn mower – uses either a 20V or 40V battery
- Cordless chainsaw – uses a 40V battery
The battery and charger are shared across the range so you’ll need to buy one of these (though bear in mind that the 20V battery won’t work in all the tools in the range.) This saves you money when you buy the ‘skins’ of extra tools, rather than buying with their battery and charger each time.
Do other brands have cordless garden power tools with shareable batteries?
Yes, several brands offer garden power tools that share a battery within the range, allowing you to buy just one battery and charger and save money. However bear in mind that not all the tools in the range are not necessarily as good as each other and you may not have need for more than one or two of them in the average back garden so don’t assume that a shared-battery range is always the best answer.
Models from the Ryobi One+ range that we’ve reviewed
- Ryobi One+ RLT1825M13 cordless grass trimmer
- Ryobi One+ OPT1845 cordless long-reach cordless hedge trimmer
Models from the Bosch Power For All range that we’ve reviewed
- Bosch UniversalCut 18-260 cordless grass trimmer
- Bosch Art 18-20 Li cordless grass trimmer
- Bosch Art 23-18 Li cordless grass trimmer
Models from the Stihl COMPACT range that we’ve reviewed
- Stihl Compact BGA 56 cordless leaf blower
- Stihl MSA 120 C-BQ cordless chainsaw
- Stihl MSA 140 C_BQ cordless chainsaw
- Stihl HSA 56 cordless hedge trimmer
- Stihl RMA 235 cordless lawn mower
- Stihl RMA 339 cordless lawn mower