Sony HT-X8500 review
Test scoreShow Context
- Dolby Atmos
- Built-in subwoofer included
Sony has launched a Dolby Atmos sound bar at an affordable price. The HT-X8500 also offers DTS:X so it should deliver cinematic, three-dimensional surround sound. It's fairly cheap compared to other sound bars with these popular surround-sound technologies, but is it too good to be true? Find out whether the HT-X8500 can do Dolby Atmos just as well as bigger brands in our full review.What's included:
- Pros and cons
- What type of sound bar is it?
- How does it sound?
- What's it like to use?
- Should I buy it?
First reviewed by Which?
- Surround sound decodingHDMI INPUTDolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, Dolby YesHD, Dolby Dual mono,DTS,DTS HD High Resolution Audio,DTS HD Master Audio,DTS ES,DTS 96 / 24,DTS: X,MPEG2-AACHDMI EARCDolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, Dolby YesHD,Dolby Atmos,Dolby Dual mono,DTS,DTS HD High Resolution Audio,DTS HD Master Audio,DTS ES,DTS 96 / 24,DTS: X,MPEG2-AACOPTICAL INPUTDolby Digital, Dolby Digital plus, Dolby Digital plus / Atmos,Dolby Dual mono,DTS,LPCM 2ch,MPEG2-AAC
- Controls on sound bar
- Manufacturer guarantee1 year
- Manufacturer guarantee termsSony sound bars have a one-year guarantee as standard.
Compare retailersPrices updated daily
Prices are ordered from lowest to highest, irrespective of retailer rating or stock, and exclude any potential delivery costs. We are not able to show every possible retailer and cheaper prices may be available. When you click on a retailer link on our site, we may earn affiliate commission. This supports our not-for-profit mission to empower consumers and in no way affects our recommendations. Find out more.
- 33%Lowest score
- 56%Average score
- 85%Highest score
How to buy the best sound bar
Does your TV have poor sound? A sound bar can help. Our expert sound bar advice explains everything you need to know, including which features to look for, and why it's not always best to pay for an expensive sound bar.
How to set up a sound bar with your TV
Set up a new sound bar with a TV correctly and you'll get the very best audio quality, and make most of the extra features your sound bar can offer. Choose the wrong connection, and you could find performance will suffer.