Consumer Credit Act

The Consumer Credit Act regulates credit card purchases but also gives you protection when you enter into a loan or hire agreement. It also gives you the right to a cooling off period.
spread the word:
email & print:

What's covered by the CCA 

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulates consumer credit and covers the following areas:

  • content and form of credit agreements
  • method of calculating annual percentage rate (APR)
  • procedures relating to events of default, termination or early settlement
  • credit Advertising
  • section 75 which gives you extra protection on items costing over £100 and up to £30,000 paid by credit card

Before granting credit or significantly increasing the amount of credit a creditor must assess your creditworthiness. 

They must base this assessment on sufficient information obtained from you and a credit reference agency.

In addition there is certain information that must be provided to you before a regulated agreement is made. You must be informed of the following: 

  • the nature of the agreement
  • the parties to the agreement

You must also be given key financial information including:

  • the amount of credit or the credit limit
  • the duration of the agreement
  • the APR
  • the total amount payable
  • the amounts and timings of repayments

This  information must be contained in a document headed 'Pre-Contract Information' which must be provided separately to the credit agreement itself.

Both parties must sign the agreement and a copy of the agreement must be given to you either at the date of signing or seven days thereafter.

Credit agreement cooling off periods

If you sign a credit agreement off trade premises - so at a temporary marketing display stand, for instance - you have the right to cancel the agreement within your cooling off period.

In such an event a notice of your cancellation rights must be included within the copy of the credit agreement and must be sent by post or email within seven days. 

You then have five clear days (not counting the date of receipt) in which to cancel.

The effect of cancellation under Section 67 of the Consumer Credit Act is that the agreement and any linked transaction is treated as if they had never been entered into. Consequently the loan company must repay all sums which you have paid and you must return any goods you've received.

Credit agreements at a distance

The Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations apply where you enter into a credit agreements at a distance - for instance, over the phone or online.

The regulations require that certain information is provided in good time before you are bound by the contract. This information must include:

  • name and address of the creditor
  • description of the main characteristics of the credit agreement
  • total price payable for the credit
  • arrangements for payment
  • information regarding a right of withdrawal

Your right to withdraw from a credit agreement

You have a 14 day cooling off period in which to change your mind and cancel a credit agreement. 

You have to repay the amount borrowed along with any interest that’s accrued up to the point at which you cancel. 

There are some agreements that can't be cancelled, for example where the amount of credit exceeds £60,260 and for agreements secured on land.

The 14-day cooling-off period starts from the day the agreement is concluded or if later, from when you receive a copy of the agreement. 

On a credit card the 14-day cooling off period starts from when you receive notification of your credit limit.

While the credit agreement can be cancelled, the contract for the item or service itself won't be affected so if you used credit to finance the purchase of a car you would need to find some other way to pay for it unless you have some other right to cancel that main contract.

Your right to your credit files

When you apply for a loan or a credit card, the card company or credit provider may apply to a credit reference agency to check your credit history, and other details, for example, where you have lived in recent years. 

It will use this information when it decides whether to give you a card or a loan.

If you believe that you have been unfairly denied credit, you can ask the credit provider which credit reference agency or agencies they used.

You can then contact the agency or agencies to get a copy of your credit file, which they must provide for £2. 

There are three credit reference agencies: Equifax, Experian and CallCredit.

Inaccurate credit files

If you believe your file contains inaccurate or out-of-date information, you can ask for it to be amended, under the Consumer Credit (Credit Reference Agency) Regulations 2000.

Write to the agency giving your full name and address. It may also help to give your credit reference file number. 

Clearly explain what information you think is wrong and why. Provide any proof you have to show why the information is wrong. 

Keep a copy of any letters you send. By law the agency must tell you within 28 days of your letter if it has:

  • removed the entry from your file
  • amended the entry; or
  • taken no action

If the entry is amended, the agency will send you a copy of the amended entry. 

The agency will also send the details to any lender that has searched your credit reference file in the last six months.

Less interest on early repayment

If you decide to pay off all or part of a loan or other credit agreement earlier than the full term, you should not have to pay the full amount of interest in the agreement.

If you want to pay off some or all of a loan early, you should write to your credit provider and ask how much you must pay to clear the debt, or state how much you'd like to pay off.

The relevant regulations here are the Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004 and the Consumer Credit (Settlement Information) Regulations 1983. 

These set out the method of calculation of the rebate and the form and content of settlement statements respectively. 

A settlement statement must be provided to you within seven working days of your request.

If the credit provider hasn't answered your letter stating how much you will have to pay to clear some or all of the loan , or if you believe they may be trying to charge you too much, warn them that you will refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service as you are being denied your right to settle the agreement early. 

You should also inform your local Trading Standards Department.

Breach of contract over £30,000 

If the item or service you are buying costs more than £30,000 Section 75 won't apply. 

Depending on the circumstances though, you may have protection under Section 75A. The price of the item or service must be more than £30,000 and the amount of credit the seller has arranged for you mustn't be more than £60,260. 

If something goes wrong then the credit provider could be in breach of contract as long as:

• you can't trace the seller
• you've contacted the seller but they've failed to respond
• the seller has become insolvent
• you've taken reasonable steps to pursue the seller but you haven't obtained satisfaction. 

But, if something goes wrong and the seller offers you a replacement or compensation which you have accepted you can't claim under Section 75A.


Join our campaign
& help us reach 125,000 signatures

Two thirds of us think that companies use fees or charges to trick us into thinking that the cost is cheaper than it is. We're calling for all financial fees and charges to be upfront, fair and easy to compare. We want companies to take action and the Government and regulator to conduct a thorough review.
Find out more about Fees and charges on Which? Campaigns

Thank you for signing our campaign

Help us spread the word by sharing our campaign


Please tell us what you think of the Which? Consumer Rights website.

Your feedback is vital in helping us improve this site. All data will be treated confidentially. This survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete.

Please take our survey so we can improve our website for you and others like you.