Range cookers: Best Buys
A range cooker can be a great-looking finishing touch to your dream kitchen. But which ones are best? Should you go for gas, electric or dual-fuel? Do the expensive ones actually cook any better?
Video guide: what makes a Which? Best Buy range cooker?
At Which? we’ve tested all types of range cooker including gas, electric, dual-fuel and even range cookers with induction hobs (hobs where just the pan heats up, not the hob surface).
- When we test range cookers we measure how quickly the main oven heats up and how accurately they maintain cooking temperatures.
- We use strips of shortbread to measure how evenly heat is distributed around the oven and we bake a large sponge cake to see how well the ovens can maintain a steady supply of heat.
- In our grill test we cover the grill pan with crustless white bread to see how evenly and how far heat spreads. On the hob we record how quickly the burners bring a pan of water to the boil and how effective they are when simmering rice pudding.
Find out which range cookers are best, and discover a range of other benefits, with a £1 trial Which? subscription.
Range cooker reviews you can trust
We only measure the actual space that you can use inside the oven, rather than the total volume figures you see on manufacturers’ sites, and we test what you can realistically fit inside by trying to fit a large fake turkey and a tray of roast potatoes in together.
We are independent and impartial, and product reviews and recommendations are what we've done for more than 50 years. There are no ads on our site - we don't work for the manufacturers, we work for you. We test the products, and pass the results on. It's that simple.
- Reviews of 76 range cookers.
- 34 Best Buy range cookers to complete your kitchen.
- Reviews of range cookers from 15 companies.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial Which? membership and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.