Carpet cleaners: Best Buys
Looking to revive that old carpet?
It’s surprising just how many carpet cleaners fail to fulfil their purpose as a carpet cleaner. A third of the carpet cleaners we’ve tested have been labelled as Don’t Buys as they left our carpets dirt-laden and waterlogged.
We don’t just ‘pat and feel’ if a carpet is still wet – we weigh our test carpets before and then at regular intervals after cleaning, so we know when the moisture disappears.
- A good model will give your carpet a new lease of life. If you are in the market for a carpet cleaner, make sure you purchase a recommended machine that leaves your carpet spotless – and not soaked.
- Which? doesn’t just look at the cleaning performance but we also give a rating for how easy the carpet cleaner is to use. The weight listed for each cleaner is with a tank full of water and with all the on-board accessories attached – just how you’d use it at home.
- Our tests reveal the poorly performing carpet cleaners that have very little impact on grime and stains.
To find out which carpet cleaners will leave your carpets fresh and clean, sign up for a £1 trial to Which?
What makes a Which? Best Buy
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products.
Find out more about how we test products and find those that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Reviews you can trust
We’ve also tested ‘multi-function’ carpet cleaners. These are models with a ‘dry mode’ - meaning that they can also function as a regular vacuum cleaner. Could it be worth replacing your vac with a dual-function carpet cleaner? Our results will help you make that decision.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 19 carpet cleaners; carpet washers and multi-function cleaners.
- 6 Best Buy carpet cleaners for clean as a whistle carpets.
- Reviews of carpet cleaners from 3 companies.