Which? reveals Best Buy supermarket sirloin steakSainsbury’s sirloin wins the Which? taste test
18 April 2013
The Which? expert panel test of sirloin steak reveals that buying the best premium steak from the supermarket might be a bit cheaper than you think.
In an expert taste test of seven supermarket premium pre-packed sirloin steaks, Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 21 Day Dry Aged Ultimate British Sirloin was the clear winner, scoring 83%.
And at £23 per kg, it’s nearly £9 cheaper than Marks & Spencer’s Special Reserve sirloin which scored 55%.
Watch our video with top chef Ryan Simson of Orwells restaurant in Shiplake to learn how to cook the perfect steak on a barbecue.
Top-scoring sirloin steak
The Which? panel of experts liked the thickness and butchering of the Sainsbury’s steak, as well as the colour and fat marbling. And it scored the highest marks overall for appearance, aroma, tenderness, texture and taste.
Aldi’s Specially Selected 21 Day Matured Dry-aged British Sirloin Steak (£18.90 per kg, 47%) wasn’t very special and came last in our test – panellists told us that the taste wasn’t exceptional and that one of the three steaks tasted looked more like a rib-eye than a sirloin.
Expert tasting panel
Our three experts all tasted one of each steak and gave their opinions on the taste, appearance, tenderness and juiciness, texture and aroma. For the total score, we awarded 50% for taste, 15% for tenderness and juiciness, 15% for texture, 10% for appearance and 10% for aroma.
Our experts were Ryan Simpson, chef director, Orwells; Keith Fisher, chief executive, Institute of Meat; and Alan Haywood, director, Vicars Game Ltd – meat and game suppliers.
The other steaks tested were:
- Tesco Finest Dry aged British Beef Sirloin Steak (£20 per kg, 28 days matured), 65%.
- Asda Extra Special 28 Day Matured Beef Sirloin Steak (£19.99 per kg) 58%.
- M&S Special Reserve British Aberdeen Angus Sirloin Steak (£31.82 per kg, 28 days matured) 55%.
- Morrisons Traditional British Beef Dry aged Sirloin Steak (£21 per kg, 21 days matured) 50%.
- Waitrose Succulent Hereford Beef Sirloin Steak (£27.99 per kg, 7 days matured minimum) 50%.
- Aldi Specially Selected 21 Day Matured Dry-aged British Sirloin Steak (£18.90 per kg)
- Read about the winners of recent Which? taste tests
- Find the best barbecue for you with our gas and charcoal barbecue reviews
- Have your say about where you buy your meat from in our Which? Conversation