Which? uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to our cookies policy.

Home grants

Free Loft Insulation from Energy Suppliers

Article 5 of 8

Put us to the test

Our Test Labs compare features and prices on a range of products. Try Which? to unlock our reviews. You'll instantly be able to compare our test scores, so you can make sure you don't get stuck with a Don't Buy.

Free Loft Insulation from Energy Suppliers

Can you get free insulation? Insulating your home is one of the most effective ways to cut your energy bills. Find out how your energy supplier could help.

Some energy suppliers offer free insulation to eligible households. Find out if you qualify for free insulation.

You could save up to £140 a year on your energy bills by insulating your loft, and £160 with cavity wall insulation. Both can costs hundreds of pounds upfront to install, so it's worth checking whether you can get free insulation from your energy supplier first.

Read on and find out whether you qualify.

What free insulation can I get?

Some suppliers offer free insulation if you're eligible under the ECO scheme. For example, you may be eligible if you're on government benefits. But suppliers will also take into account how much your home will benefit from insulation.

If you're concerned about your energy bills, it's worth seeing how much you could save using our free energy comparison price website, Which? Switch. If you're on a standard tariff with one of the Big Six energy suppliers - as most people are - you could save up to £369 a year by switching. Find out if you're on the cheapest energy deal.

Eon - free insulation or boiler if on selected benefits

What can I get? Free loft insulation and/or cavity wall insulation. A free boiler if yours is broken.

Who is eligible? Eligibility is based on whether you receive certain income-related benefits and ether own your home or rent privately.

How can I apply? Online.

Npower - free insulation or boiler if on selected benefits

What can I get? Free loft, cavity wall  and external wall insulation. And also a free boiler.

Who is eligible? Eligibility is based on where you live, the type of home you live in and whether you receive certain income-related benefits. You don't need to be an Npower customer.

How can I apply? Online or by calling 0800 072 1741 (or 0330 100 8123 from a mobile)

SSE - discounts on insulation or boiler if on selected benefits

What can I get? Discounts on loft insulation and/or cavity wall insulation. A discounted A-rated condensing gas boiler if yours is broken.

Who is eligible? SSE customers and non-customers in receipt of certain benefits. You'll need to contact SSE to check if you're eligible.

How can I apply? Online or call 0345 078 3248.

British Gas, EDF Energy and Scottish Power

These energy suppliers are not currently offering free insulation or boilers.

British Gas's free insulation scheme is currently suspended. EDF Energy used to offer help if you received certain benefits. Scottish Power's insulation and boiler scheme is currently closed to new applications. You can register your interest online.

Discounts on DIY insulation products

If you decide to install your own loft insulation, look out for the Energy Saving Trust Recommended logo to ensure you are buying insulation products that have been through a quality-control process and comply with building regulations. 

You can buy loft insulation from shops such as B&Q and Homebase, and it typically costs between £14 and £25 for a roll. Click to discover the best DIY shops and DIY websites.

What type of insulation do I need?

To work out which type of insulation is right for your home, read our guides to loft insulation and cavity wall insulation.

Before taking up any deal, you'll need to read the small print for each insulation offer to make sure you and your home are eligible. Companies typically need to be able to insulate at least two thirds of your loft space, and exclude properties with more than 60mm of loft insulation already in place. 

You may not be eligible if you live in a rented property, flat or maisonette, or a housing association or council property. Most deals apply only to people living in mainland Britain. You may need to pay towards the cost of your 'free' insulation if you live in a particularly large or unusual house.

Heating alternatives

You could also take a look at our guides to wood burning stoves, underfloor heating and solar panels to find out more about these alternative, and potentially cheaper, forms of heating. 

If you only need to heat a specific area - your living room while you watch TV in the evening, for example - you could consider an electric heater. Make sure you get one that doesn't rack up your energy bills using our guide on how to buy the best electric heater.