More from Which?

Other sources of information relating to this subject on the Which? website.
Which? Wills
Guide to letting a property 

Age UK

Charity providing information, advice and support for older people – including advice on finding, choosing and financing a care home.
Telephone: 0800 169 6565


A social enterprise that represents affordable representation for families struggling to navigate the continuing healthcare maze.
Telephone: 0345 548 0300

Care Aware

A free service specialising in funding advice for older people in the UK.
Helpline: 0161 707 1107

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB)

National network of free advice centres that can give advice on benefits and other options for financing care.
Telephone: 08454 04 05 06 (Consumer helpline)


To get details of government policy throughout the UK, including enquiries about local authority care homes and needs and financial assessments.
Website (UK):
Website (Northern Ireland):
Website (Scotland):
Website (Wales):

Independent Age

A charity that offers expertise for older people on social care, benefits, befriending and other social support through their advice service.
Advice line: 0800 319 6789

Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

Find an expert financial adviser in your area that specialises in issues affecting older people – including funding long-term care, savings, pensions and equity release.
Telephone: 0845 303 2909

Page last reviewed: 30 November 2015
Next review due: 28 February 2017