Use this list to ensure you are aware of all aspects of self-funding a care home.
If you wish to download this checklist, please scroll down to the foot of the page and click on our PDF link.
- Is your relative claiming all the benefits and allowances they are entitled to, to help meet the cost of care?
- Check if they are entitled to attendance allowance or personal independence payment (PIP).
- Is your relative potentially eligible to receive ?
- Has your relative consulted a qualified independent financial adviser about making the most of investments and income?
- Has your relative chosen a care home that is affordable over the long-term?
- Would the local authority assist with the fees of the care home your relative has chosen should they need to fall back on local authority funding in the future?
- Have they had a from the local authority social services department?
- Your relative should think twice before gifting assets and property or giving anything away to reduce capital. There can be serious consequences.
Page last reviewed: February 2017
Next review due: July 2018